Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As many of you are aware, I am the founder of Betta Fish Awareness Day on Facebook. For the past 3 years, I have been trying to raise awareness through my Facebook page and blog. My information has been intended to provide resources to those who want to learn about why Betta fish need the care that they do and why myths and misconceptions about this species is harmful.

I thought the community would be happy to know that I am currently trying to reach 10k in signatures for the ASPCA to becoming active in the involvement of raising awareness for this species. They do so for so many other animals of all sizes including, but limited to, dogs, cats, horses, chickens, pigs, and so on. So why not Betta fish? This year marks the third annual Betta Fish Awareness Day and I am targeting the campaign to be more thematic: Thriving Vs. Surviving. I will be creating content that illustrates the different between the two and highlights why an animal caretaker's goals should be to allow their animal to thrive than to merely survive (exist).

I hope the ASPCA gets involved and I hope many in our community do as well. If anyone wants to contribute toward this year's BFAD project's theme (art, writing, memes, etc.) please feel free to send content to me! Anything I choose to use will be credited, of course. I also hope that we raise a high number of signatures, though I doubt we will reach 10k. The petition will run until Betta Fish Awareness Day on June 21.

Here is the link for those who are interested: http://www.change.org/petitions/the...areness-day-in-raising-awareness-this-june-21

Let me know if you guys think anything needs to be added, changed, or clarified.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I signed the partition and I hope it goes some where to raise the awareness of all animal and pet lovers.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Do you have any ideas for ways we could raise awareness about Thriving Vs. Surviving?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes break the myths. Explain how the Betta can survive in a small environment but this is not natural for this fish. Betta live in rice patties where the water is only a few inches deep but the patties are very large in size. Betta have more space to roam and call their territory. They just don't stay in a small area like the one gal. bowls or less all their lives. Explain the reasons for the small shipping cups. They are only that a small shipping cup not their home for life. ask how would you feel if you were given only enough space to turnaround in to live that way for the rest of your life. being fed only once or twice a week. that is survival not living. The people on this forum have a greater understanding and a love for these fish, They have heart and care that their friend and loving pet has the best home they can give. Also give this to the ASPCA. A sign I have posted a few times in places that really care. I AM A LIVING BREATHING BEAUTIFUL BEING, I HAVE NEEDS AND WANTS LIKE ALL OTHER ANIMALS PLEASE HELP ME LIVE MY LIFE, NOT JUST SURVIVE IT.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Signed it, and shared it with my local FB Aquatics Club! It's a fairly new club and only has roughly 250 members, but every vote counts, right?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every vote does count, yes! Thank you all for caring! I am trying to make some posters/online images with the Thriving Vs. Surviving theme. I'm not a graphic designer though, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Signed. It might be worth pointing out that humans too can SURVIVE in horrible conditions. We call it inhumane to keep a human locked in a basement, but have no problem shoving a fish in 2 cups of water for life. I so do not understand humanity. Betta splendens, from what i understand were NEVER "in the wild". So judging what they need based upon their wild cousins is as bizarre as basing what my cats needs are based upon a tiger.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of using comparative images. People often use the "human locked in a basement" analogy but I think that is too uncommon a thing for people to immediately relate to, as it brings thoughts toward kidnapping and extreme cases of abuse. Because of this gap between extremities, I plan to use the image of a dog who is tied to a tree on a short chain his whole life. People would believe it cruel to keep a dog in such conditions but it is something that is more connected to the idea (animal vs. animal instead of human vs. animal). Some people do keep their dogs this way, so it strikes a cord with some.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Signed. This is a good idea. Fish are not meant to be disposable pets. They should not be treated as such. They are living creatures who deserve a good home and good care by people who take the time to learn how to take proper care of them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I know over a year ago some one came up with an idea to sell Tee Shirts to help dispel the myths of Betta Keeping. It may to late before your date but the Idea is a good one. one idea I had after seeing the thread ( and to late to respond ) was having Three different tees printed each with a myth and myth busting design. One of the biggest myths of Bettas is space requirements. Idea: Betta in a shipping cup with an international sign of no across it stating This is what I come in, on the back a larger tank with 2.5-10 This is what I crave. Idea 2: a picture of a Betta and the words, Ask Me About The Myths. Third idea: picture of a Betta and the Words I Am Beautiful Help Me Live Not Just Survive. and a logo in smaller letters under all. For Betta fish care awareness and the day and date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts