Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I bought a betta fish, he has a bubbler, 10 gallon tank, rainbow rocks, a filter, a cave, and a heater. Do I need anything else? Also, I would like to ask for some tips on caring for a betta :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,820 Posts
Sounds like a plan. :) Some Bettas do and some Bettas don't like bubblers; so keep it as low as you can and see how he reacts. He may be like one I had years ago and play in it or he may hate it. You never know.

You will also need a water testing kit. The liquid ones are more expensive than the strips but also more accurate. You also need some sort of water conditioner. Many of us use Seachem "Prime." It detoxifies ammonia and you use it with every water change.

If you don't have a top on your tank, get one; preferably with a light. Bettas are great jumpers. :)

Read the stickies on cycling in the Habitat section. If you don't understand something in there, just ask. I use Seachem "Stability" to help the cycle along but that's not necessary. There's varied opinions on whether it works but it does for me. Live plants also help with the ammonia.

I'm sure others will think of more.

Welcome to the forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I would recommend some anubias plants. My bettas also really love anubias, but only when it's kept trimmed up, it can get so thick that they get stuck in it.

Other than that it looks like you're pretty set. Careful with the bubbler it can cause some current at the top which may not be desirable. A typical betta tank usually shouldn't have one, it serves no purpose for these types of fish. These fish love standing water more than moving water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan. :) Some Bettas do and some Bettas don't like bubblers; so keep it as low as you can and see how he reacts. He may be like one I had years ago and play in it or he may hate it. You never know.

You will also need a water testing kit. The liquid ones are more expensive than the strips but also more accurate. You also need some sort of water conditioner. Many of us use Seachem "Prime." It detoxifies ammonia and you use it with every water change.

If you don't have a top on your tank, get one; preferably with a light. Bettas are great jumpers. :)

Read the stickies on cycling in the Habitat section. If you don't understand something in there, just ask. I use Seachem "Stability" to help the cycle along but that's not necessary. There's varied opinions on whether it works but it does for me. Live plants also help with the ammonia.

I'm sure others will think of more.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks :) he tends to just ignore his bubbler, he pretends its not even there. He will swim around it or something, the water shakes a lot because of it so I unplugged it unless he needs it. I will pick up some water conditioner soon and yeah he has a lid with a light :) I take 40 percent of the water out for changing and put 40 percent new water in and mix it a little so the tempurature is similar or the same as the other 60 percent. Then I take another 40 percent out a few days later. Than a week after I do it again. He also has a nitrogen cycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend some anubias plants. My bettas also really love anubias, but only when it's kept trimmed up, it can get so thick that they get stuck in it.

Other than that it looks like you're pretty set. Careful with the bubbler it can cause some current at the top which may not be desirable. A typical betta tank usually shouldn't have one, it serves no purpose for these types of fish. These fish love standing water more than moving water.
Thanks! I unplugged the bubbler and will only plug it in again if he needs it. The water is more still now. I will get some anubias plants btw :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and the world of Bettas! Sounds like you did your research. Good luck with your new fish friend, they really do make wonderful pets :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, and the world of Bettas! Sounds like you did your research. Good luck with your new fish friend, they really do make wonderful pets :)
Thanks! I researched for literally 3 days haha. I have been a fan of bettas since I saw my first betta about 2 years ago and I loved their beauty. I am hoping to have lots of bettas in my future.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top