Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to betta care, and I have on my hands a little peacock-colored crowntail with a combination of symptoms that I haven't seen described anywhere. I've read a bunch of posts here without reading what I'm seeing, so I thought I'd post myself.

I got this fellow from Wal-Mart (I know, but my girlfriend fell in love with him and thought he was going to die there). The first night he came home I put him in a temporary 1 gal container. I didn't know how recently the store had fed him, so I gave him a couple of Aqueon brand BettaFood pellets. He ate one. That was the last thing that I know he's eaten since I've owned him. That was two weeks ago. He has refused to eat anything since. He will sometimes approach the pellets, but most often seems afraid of them. He ignored freeze dried bloodworms. He took some Omega One Betta Flakes into his mouth and spit them out again, and he likes to watch the bits of defrosted frozen pea sink to the bottom of the bowl.

In addition to this, he has a gray bloated belly that fluctuates in size, and has recently developed gray streaks down the side of his body that were not there before. He can and does swim to the bottom of the bowl sometimes, but when he stops swimming he bobs right back to the surface. He spends most of his time at the surface up against the side of the bowl, occasionally producing larger-than-bubble-nest-sized bubbles and often listing to one side.

Since I haven't read about this combination of symptoms anywhere, I've been trying to tread individual ones. His unwillingness to eat presents a problem. I have tried fasting him for a few days, but he still ignores or spits out food.

He is in a clear plastic 1 gal bowl with a few pieces of large substrate and a silk plant. He also has an 8w heater because my house is kept at around 70 degrees, and this usually warms it up to a safe temp.

I started out doing twice weekly water changes. I have progressed to a point that I am doing daily 100% water changes with a combination of epsom salt, Stress Coat, and Maracyn Two. I have well water, so I was treating with Betta water conditioner, but stopped that when I started with the Stress Coat since they do the same thing. I have not yet tested the water, but my four other bettas are fine with the exact same water (Betta conditioner or Stress Coat only).

If anyone has seen or knows of these symptoms in combination, and what to do about them, I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Hey i am so sorry for your little guy has so much problem:( Is he still around, do you still need help? It look like you bought sick guy .
Gray belly , bloating can be sing for the internal parasites, internal bacteria. With internal parasites you will need to check on his poop. If it white,clear, broken white he might have internal parasites.
Epsom salt helps as laxative and with buoyancy. It usually 1tps/gall up to 3 tsp/gall premixed and dissolved.
If your little guy will not make it i would suggest to disinfect the tank and do not cross contaminate anything between him and your other bettas.

Also sorry that i am lazy to write , but lilnaugrim gave perfect advice on food so i will give you the link to read her recommendations. Please read post #15
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=244514&page=2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts