Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our betta a few days ago. He has a cyst on the back edge of his anal fin. When I look at pictures from a few days ago, it was there, just not as noticeable. It really stood out to me today and kind of looks like a zit or small whitehead. I will come back later to add photos. It is most visible on his right side.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? No idea, we just got him so a heater an thermometer are on the list to get this weekend. We live in south tx, house temp is 78 and I even closed the AC vent in our room which is where he stays so it's likely a few degrees hotter in there.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? My friend gave me the tank. She cleaned it out but I've seen a few small snails she put in there originally to feed a puffer. She says they are harmless??

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra betta pellets and occasionally bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, 2 morning one evening or alternated.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I did about a 30% water change yesterday. We just got him Sunday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta safe and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4
Hardness: very hard
Alkalinity: high

We live in South tx and I cannot get the hardness and alkalinity of my water to change. Our water is very hard here. I did try with a partial disk of Jungle's correct ph fizz tabs but it did nothing.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a small cyst/whitehead like thing on the back edge of his anal fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. He seems happy and has been making bubble nests.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
(1) upgrade his food please (New Life Soectrum or omega one) (2) upgrade your water conditioner (seachem prime is best) and (3) why are you adding AQ salt and how much are you adding?

Cysts can't be "cured" per se, what you need to do is keep his water as clean as possible and wait for it to fall off, once it falls off you can do 1tsp/g AQ salt for 3 days just to ward off infection and wait for the fin to regrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.