Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up fishtank people,

I bought/rescued a new betta yesterday. We named him Lucky Kamikaze because we found him sitting in the betta tank system's large filtration system at the LFS. We thought he was dead, his poor little body was stuck in the cotton wad-like stuff, but when I poked the water beside him he jumped! So of course I had to save this poor little guy.

Maybe as a result of his crazy stressful waterslide down the filtration pipes, maybe from previous problems, he has a few issues: his dorsal, caudal, and anal fins are all clamped, he is somewhat lethargic, floating above the heater, and his body is a little curved and he swims a little funky.

These "symptoms" might just be from the stress at the LFS and then more stress as he was bagged, acclimated by a girl dripping water into his baggie with an eye dropper and taking frequent breaks to stare at him.

So far I've put him in a 2 gallon with an amazon sword and a piece of driftwood with 2 anubias on it. I also put in half an Indian almond leaf and plentiful amounts of Prime.

I'm moving him into a 10-gallon today.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make him feel more comfortable? Or does he just need time?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I honestly just think he needs time. Could you post a picture of the 2 gallon and 10 gallon? If you have any lights turn them off. And if you want to you can lower the water level to about 50% so it's easier for him to swim up for air.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. I just uploaded a picture of him, brb while I take a picture of the tanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the picture of the 2-gallon: (Also I think I found the source of his "lethargy": he was staring into his "cousin's" tank through that small crack)

I'm going to pick up his 10-gallon and set it up today, so this is my other 10-gallon. It will look something like this but with soil substrate (some black humate and something else too, not sure what yet):

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree, maybe try turning the lights off for a day. Sometimes that can help lessen the stress. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a video of him a week after I first got him. He's doing so much better! He's super energetic and his fins have completely unclamped :)

Here's a YouTube video of him: https://youtu.be/i0lc27cACbE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts