Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i just bought my betta from walmart my heart really cried out for him. He was the only one in yellowish water and barely any water in it. I thought i was saving his life until today. I noticed he is swimming straight up and down and not as his usual side to side. if i come to the bowl where he is (for now) he goes back to normal and swims side to side and all around the bowl. He will go to the top of the bowl and poke his head out of the water as if he is getting air. I dont know what to do. PLEASE help i thought i was saving a life not taking one :cry:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Bettas breathe atmospheric oxygen, so the air we breathe. Him going up to the surface is normal. that's why bettas can be sold and shipped in tiny bags and cups and also live very well in bowls and tanks without filters and aeration.

Clean the bowl (I'm assuming it's about a gallon) every three days. Change out all of the water and add in new conditioner each time. Also, keep the temperature stable and around 78-80 degrees since bettas are tropical. They can do ok in colder, but it affects long term health.

If he's not lethargic or having trouble staying upright, then I believe he's ok. Most bettas just need time to adjust and get back up to par after they're bought from the store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I used the Betta water sold at Walmart I figured it was the same water used for them there...I don't think he looks lethargic it has not been 3 days but when I get home from work tonight I will change his water

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at his fins they look severly riped? i have soft plastic rocks in the bowl but im not sure how the fins got so torn? do you think he is in pain and this is why he is not repsonding? Still tonight its as if his body is too heavy to hold up and then when i go towards the bowl he goes to the top. I also noticed bubbles at the top of the tank not like breeding bubbles though? any advice on this?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
He might have bitten his fins.

Keep the water cleaner and you really need to do something for warmth to see drastic improvement in him.

For now, do a 100% change as soon as you can to keep water quality at it's best. He'll need it while he recovers.

Can you get a video or picture of him doing what you describe as off? It'll help out a lot with diagnosis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now i just have him in a bowl....that is always what i have done with my Bettas and they seemed to always have done ok...living years with no issues...how do you suggest keeping the water warm with no heater? i will get a picture posted in just a few...last time i took a picture the flash went off im sure this does not help his case...give me a few minutes and i will get one asap! thank you sooooo much for helping i want to help the little guy since this is the reason i bought him...to give him a better chance and get him away from the harm he was in before :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bob.jpg

bob2.jpg

bob3.jpg

if you look you will note that under his mouth looks swollen and also you will note that his fins and the bubbles? not sure if this is from him??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay!! UPDATE: Changed his water, sat the cup in the water before changing him to new water so he could warm up to it before switching him to the water. I cut a tube sock and put that around his bowl and then put a towel around that to help keep the water warm...tomorrow maybe i will sit his bowl in some warm water just to keep the water a steady temp. until i figure out how to get a new tank for him....Bob *the betta* is doing the same as before but seems to not be breathing as much unless i move the bowl..I really hope this helps him :( thank you for all the kind words and support

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello me again, Today he is still doing the same thing. BUt i am noticing he has some shiny stuff on his face. Could this just be the way the water is glaring on him or is this more serious?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly i think there may be no hope...tonight as i got home from work he didnt move at all until i stuck my finger in the water....I am realizing also he not eating...but i am taking the food out of his water...Sheesh i feel so helpless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just wanted to take the time to thank you for all your help! You truly were a great support system for me and my little guy! He sadly passed away last night. Seemed like his fins fell to pieces and he had a silver coating all over his face. I was talking to him (i know crazy) jumped in the shower real quick and then when i got out he was gone. Laying at the bottom of the tank sadly not breathing. Again thank you for all of your help!
RIP BOB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts