Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got myself another Betta to put in my 3rd planted tank :D - he does have clamped fins, but I'm hoping being in this non-stressful environment will help him recover and get back in shape! I noticed after only being in his new home for 5 minutes he already started to relax his fins a bit. He's a half-moon :) I'll try to update with pictures of how he is doing weekly :D (I need to post some of my other tanks and Bettas too xD ) No name for him yet.. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On another note, anyone want to share their experiences with clamped fins and what they did to help their Betta get better? How long did it take your Betta to get better? I hope this little guy will feel better soon! :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't have advice for fins, but I wanted to compliment your tank as well as your new HM! I have a planted tank too, but I have to supplement with silk flowers because I don't have a very green thumb. It looks very welcoming!

·
Registered
245 Posts
It helps the acclimating process if you leave the lights off for at least the first few hours. Unless I'm putting in new fish into an existing tank with tankmates already accustomed to my light schedule I always leave the tank lights off for the first day they arrive and I've found this helps to reduce stress. He's a handsome boy though and he already looks like he's colored up in the last few pictures so he'll probably be just fine, it's a great looking tank C:!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have advice for fins, but I wanted to compliment your tank as well as your new HM! I have a planted tank too, but I have to supplement with silk flowers because I don't have a very green thumb. It looks very welcoming!
Thank you! :) Oh I see haha, yeah after I learned how to do a planted tank, I've never gone back to fake plants! They are so much easier to take care of in the long run imo. Plus I've noticed my Bettas always seem to stay a lot healthier in planted tanks. I've gotta assume they get more minerals or something, or the real-like environment is extra helpful? :) A lot of the difficulty though just depends on the type of plants you get- if you get low light hardy type plants (which is what I have) then you have to do very little maintenance and you almost have to try to kill them... lol Thanks again! I always spend a lot of time planning my tank aesthetics before I go out and get supplies.. sometimes it takes a week! o.o lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It helps the acclimating process if you leave the lights off for at least the first few hours. Unless I'm putting in new fish into an existing tank with tankmates already accustomed to my light schedule I always leave the tank lights off for the first day they arrive and I've found this helps to reduce stress. He's a handsome boy though and he already looks like he's colored up in the last few pictures so he'll probably be just fine, it's a great looking tank C:!
Ahh I see that makes sense, I did end up leaving the filter turned off for about 30 minutes while he adjusted, but he seemed to do fine after I turned everything on. (This is a tank I've prepared months ago, so it's cycled and everything. Had some ghost shrimp in there previously.) I got him in the evening though so they were only on for a few hours before being turned off for the night. He seems to be doing okay today, he's swimming around checking everything out, and nipping at the little snails in there... lol he even ate some tiny blood-worms! (freeze-dried - I only feed these on rare occasion like as treats because I know they can cause bloating.) He seems to be unsure whether or not he likes the Betta pellets I normally feed my other Bettas.. I think he'll come around though, plus he's probably still working on de-stressing. (the other Bettas I've had have always loved them lol) And thanks! I'll have to post some side pictures of it later on too :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's only day 4 but I thought I'd update with how he's doing! (still doesn't have a name yet, trying to think of a good male name associated with the color red/pink.. hmm)

He's been eating the pellets regularly now and seems to have his appetite back :) He no longer clamps his fins, and they seem to be recovering. He doesn't make sudden movements around the tank anymore, just joyfully swims along, constantly checking out his environment and the small snails... :) It was hard for me to get good pictures of him as he seems to get very excited whenever I approach the tank... haha :) Brings a tear to my eye to see him doing so much better and acting happy! ^.^ In the last picture I got a semi-decent photo of his fins(sort of blurry and light shining into the camera..lol), you can see how they are now more relaxed and not quite as stuck together. (I think he probably had ammonia poisoning too) The top part of his tail fin still has a bit of progress to be made, but just needs time now I think. These shots are from the side of his tank, you can see the amazon sword and anbias nana plant in them.

In case you guys were wondering, this is a 2.5 gallon filtered & heated tank. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again! I forgot to post an update on Monday, but I did take pictures! So here's Monday's pics and update:

He seems to be somewhat picky about his food, but still eats it. His fins appear to be growing a bit and the top and bottom ones are fully healed. His back fin/tail is doing a lot better and is growing out. I suspect he'll have his half-moon shape back in another week or so. :D I did notice some small, white fuzzy(?) patches on his back fin, so I ordered some Pimafix(as I've seen it's popularity on here for this type of stuff) and started treatment on that today (Wednesday). I also noticed my betta(Neptune) in my 10gal tank also had a fuzzy spot on him, so treating that tank also. (all the tanks have their own equipment I use with them, but there's always that small possibility I could have cross-contaminated something I suppose) Hopefully it clears up quickly on both and no other issues! Otherwise everyone is eating well and acting normal. I still need to find a good unique name for this guy.... I'll probably be doing some research on names this week haha :) I really love how he's turning out to look and love his colors!! ^.^

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could name it Jupiter and keep with the same theme as Neptune... Jupiter does have a red spot after all. ;)
Edit: Mars could work as well!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update Time!

Betta seems to be doing well, the white tuffs he had on his body have gone away with treatment of Pimafix, and his tail fin is starting to grow out quite a bit. He's very active and interested in everything around him, but not too interested in his new Nerite snail friend that got added last week, whom is nomming on all the algae in the tank. :) I'm thinking about naming him "Crimson" for now... as I can't seem to find any cute-sounding names associated with "pink" or "beautiful" for a male... lol. Also thanks for the suggestion assiedude - Though I've actually been naming my betta's after different gods xD I I thought about sticking with my god name theme, but didn't really find one that seemed to fit his looks? Idk I might change it in the future xD

First picture is a bit fuzzy- darn camera didnt focus fast enough >.< he's always moving around so much I can never get great pictures! haha

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hello! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, been pretty busy with other life stuff. So here's some photos of Crimson! :)

He's been doing fairly well, except recently he has started tail biting. :( So I've added a couple of mini ping pong balls to his tank, but he hasn't shown much interested in them. I'm not sure if it's stress or boredom, so I also covered up half of the tank in case he was feeling too exposed. He's been glass surfing a bit too. I also have been trying to play with him a couple times a day and putting "interesting" objects by his tank every few days. I'm not sure if it's helping much, but only time will tell I suppose. I also just purchased some new stress coat water conditioner by API, so maybe that will help too.

On another note, I've also noticed that when he flares(like in the second photo), that he seems to be missing the "beard"(?)the darker part beneath his gills) on the left side of his body. I suspect this might be from when I first got him and he might of had some sort of ammonia poisoning? Does anyone know if this is something that will grow back eventually?

Other than that, his color has really come out since I first got him, and he seems healthy. :)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts