Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I recently got a lovely crowntail Betta and added him to my cycled tank that already contains a small group of Harlequin Rasboras. The tank has a lot of plants and some driftwood with a lot of hidey crevices for him. The problem is he doesn't move a lot, he either spends his time looking dead under the driftwood or looking dead near the top of the tank. When he does swim, to get air for example, he seems to swim strongly. I didn't really expect him to make it beyond the first week but he did so now I'm wondering if he's just a very inactive fish. Are Bettas usually more active or could my Betta's behaviour be normal?

More details about my tank:

12 gallon (47 litre)
HOB filter
Lots of real plants
Driftwood
A couple of Indian Almond leaves.
Temp 27C (80F)

pH around 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites <0.01 increased from zero when I added the Betta so I treated with Seachem prime for a couple of days until the filter caught up.

I acclimatised him using the drip method (slowly dripping aquarium water into his container until the tank water replaced the fish store water).

The Rasboras are very peaceful and don't even go near him.

Thanks for any advice!
Justin.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is your tank heated? (If so, what's the temp) and what do you feed him, how often, and how much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the tank is heated, 27C (around 80.6 F)
I feed 50% tetramin flakes and 50% Tetra "Betta" food. I occasionally feed Daphnia gel food instead of flakes. He doesn't seem to eat very much but does occasionally pick flakes that have landed on the driftwood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my Betta really isn't doing very well, he can hardly swim now. I've made an hospital tank for him and medicated the water with Baktopur. Time will tell if this will help :-(

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry about your betta. It sounds like he was sick when you got him; sometimes there's nothing you can do to help them. :-(

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with micheemak. I cannot see anything wrong in the tank conditions you put him in (assuming the school of rasboras is quite a small one of around 6 individuals and the flow from the HOB filter is largely reduced by the presence of the plants) and can only assume he was sick when you got him. Just as a future note though, it's always best to quarantine new fish before adding them to an existing community. Hopefully his illness was nothing contagious and rasboras will be fine, but if you decide to add another Betta in the future (they are generally very active fish) it would be a good idea to quarantine and observe the fish for a few weeks before introducing him to your rasboras. It will also make treatment simpler if you keep the fish in a QT tank first, just in case he does come in with an illness. I'm sorry you had a bad experience on this occassion but don't give up, Bettas are really very lovely fish!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies, the Rasboras are doing fine so I think the Betta was probably on it's way out when I got him. Now I've got a spare tank I'll definitely quarantine any new arrivals.

It's good to know Bettas are usually quite active because the one I had wasn't visible most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts