Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday (Dec. 1), I got this beautiful new crown tail betta, with a dark blue tail and entirely black face. It's for my boyfriend for Christmas, because he adores my veil tail, Skittle. I've had skittle for around a year now and things are going great. Well, I got this new fish, Steak, at Walmart (I was looking down the isles and he was so beautiful and small I just had to save him from dying on the shelf). His water was kind of yucky, with old poop in it, but otherwise he seemed okay, maybe a little still. I took him home, put some marbles and sea glass (not sharp of course) in his tank, and filled it up to set him in.
I let him rest and came back a few hours later when I usually feed Skittle. I decided he was obviously not fed recently so I fed him the same portion as Skittle (a small pinch), and sat down to read. After a few minutes I looked and he hadn't eaten. It made me worry but I decided he was still getting adjusted. I waited a few more hours and came back. Still nothing. So, checking to see if Steak would flare, I put a small double-sided mirror next to his tank. I waited, but nothing. All he did was stare at his reflection for a minute, then swam away.
I gave him a night to rest and tried again today after school, but still, the same reaction. I'm worried he might be sick, or worse. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? :-(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know that people have said that some don't eat much after you bring them home. When I got my two girls, from Walmart in filthy water, neither ate for a couple of days. Finally I went and got the pellets they ate at walmart. I then transitioned them to better pellets. He is probably not used to clean water, but clean warm water is what he needs. If you think that he has trouble getting to the top you can try lowering the water level. My one crowntail is not as graceful swimmer as my veiltails. My doubletail is a herky jerky swimmer. I have one of my boys that never flares. I'm sure others may have better advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts