Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my betta 6 days ago from Walmart. He hasn't eaten since, I think he nibbled a bite of pea, but it was hard to tell. I've tried pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I've also tried feeding him with tweezers and the food directly on his mouth and he didn't really respond and actually didn't mind having it in his face.

He stays at the top of the tank in various locations but doesn't really swim around and I've never seen him lower.

He's never flared for the mirror.

His fins were clamped at first but I think that was from being in a cold cup when I got him.

Despite my best efforts to keep him warm and happy--I even sewed a tank cover to keep the heat in at night.

I know they can be stressed/depressed but I'm worried he's sick or something. He does have a bit of fin rot on his left fin, but other than that he looks well. I though maybe he has velvet on his belly but he could just be iridescent..?

Housing: Tank
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5g
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? ~81°
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? I have bloodworms also
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I've tried 2x every day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I've changed it once in the 6 days I've had him
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Bare bottom, used turkey baster
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Jungle Start right, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.6
Hardness (GH):unknown
Alkalinity (KH): unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 6 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He did have mild swim bladder but it passed.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Increased temp, added salt
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? N/a
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 6 days, yes

I don't know why these are sideways?!

My guy "King Clover":
IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

His home:
IMG_5945.jpg

The "Betta Blanket" cover I made:
IMG_5999.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,199 Posts
Betta can take two weeks or more to eat when moved from a cup to a clean habitat. Your tank doesn't appear to have substrate; this is helpful. Check the bottom to see if there is leftover food or any waste. Sometimes Betta which seem to not be eating are once the tank is dark. Make sure that's not what's happening with your new boy.

If that's not the case, offer him a pellet and if he doesn't eat it use a turkey baster to remove. Wait a few hours and try again.

It could be he was fed frozen or something other than the pellets you are offering so he may not recognize them as food. Give him some time and he should eventually come around. Do wait him out and feed only pellets.

And......

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

PS: How creative to make a tank cover!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have u tried betta flakes? As much as I hate them (they dirty a tank more quickly than pellets).. One of my 3 bettas refuses to eat anything but flakes.. And he's as happy as can be.. Just hates anything that's not a flake lol

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the insight! I haven't had a betta since 2004 and as I recall he was "good to go" as soon as he was in his new home.
I haven't tried leaving food in while it's dark, but I have been removing the uneaten food. I'll try that and see if he'll eat it that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have u tried betta flakes?
I haven't but I'll pick some up next time I'm out. I know the store fed them pellets because I saw them floating in some of the cups. Ironically I picked my guy because he looked healthiest and didn't have food floating, so I thought he'd be a good eater.

·
Super Moderator
19,199 Posts
Before you go out and buy flakes keep trying the pellets. Your Betta will eventually eat when he realizes there are no more options. Too many people don't give their Betta time to adjust before they start switching things around. I've had Betta go two or more weeks before they figured what I was feeding was all they were going to get. As long as they are active and interactive and don't start getting skinny I leave them alone. Almost forgot: You can soak pellets in garlic juice to make them more tempting.

I didn't mean for you to feed him at night but you could try leaving the food in overnight and see if it disappears. I had a rescue dog that would only eat at night so I don't see why the same couldn't be true of a Betta. I did forget to ask: Are you seeing any feces?

BTW, pellets such as New Life Spectrum, Omega One and NorthFin Betta Bites or any pellet with whole fish and not fish meal as the first ingredient carry much more nutrition. Which is why we strongly recommend those foods. However, if he's still not eating after another week or so and he's starting to look skinny you could then try something else.

Normal Betta:
NormalBetta.jpg

Skinny Betta:
SkinnyBetta.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He still looks on the hearty size I'd say. I'll give him another week and see how he's acting then. In the meantime I've left two pellets in the tank and put the cover back on to see if he eats then.

IMG_6037.jpg

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
IME Sometimes 'they'll eventually eat what is given to them' doesn't work, no matter how long you offer pellets, they won't eat them if they don't like them, I had one go 3+ weeks before I decided to try frozen foods, which he did eat, I did eventually get him to eat pellets, but it took a while to fatten him up since he was so scrawny when I got him, that's I think why he wouldn't eat pellets, because he was so tiny. So if you want to give something like Daphnia or Brine Shrimp a try, go for it, and still keep offering the pellets, he'll come around.

Reactions: KingClover

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a guy who refused pellets too for almost 2 weeks. He would eat them and then spit them right out...even with soaking them in garlic guard. At the beginning of the second week I decided to give him a frozen bloodworm ...just to see if he would eat it and yes he gobbled it right up. So I was thinking OK "I've activated his appetite"....tried the pellets the next day and he still wouldn't eat it. I almost bought flake food too but I said NO...I'm the human here...I'm smarter than you fish! Lo and behold at the end of the second week he must of been hungry enough because he ate the pellets and he's been eating them ever since.

·
Super Moderator
19,199 Posts
Bluebutterefly: Not all Betta will eventually eat and yours may be one of those. When that happens you have to try something else. I'd go to a different pellet because, as you said, flakes can be messy.

All of that being said, I mainly feed frozen food with a bit of live mixed in as I think it's more nutritious. I do insist new Betta get used to eating pellets. Once they do I introduce them to frozen. I've never had a problem going back and forth between frozen, live and pellets; my Betta will eat them all. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!

Imagine my surprise, on his one week adoption birthday I saw him finally eat! Pellets no less!

He's a happy little boy now, swimming around, all over the tank... he's even checked out the castle! His favorite spot to hang out is on his leaf.

Thank you all so much for your help. I must've just been acting like a nervous parent!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts