Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I recently bought my first betta since I was very young. It was a spur of the moment thing. I was at PetCo looking at animals to kill time and well... I ended up with a BEAUTIFUL Betta I named Gus.

Anyway, I didn't do any research before hand so I got him a .7 gallon tank, food pellets, a "betta buddy" (a live plant), and something I like to call his house (its a hollow ball with holes to swim through), and water conditioner.

He wouldn't eat his food pellets (he kept spitting them out) so I returned them for flakes and he eats those. I assumed the pellets were to big for his mouth because he spits out flakes that are too big too.

His water gets a little foggy with a reeaaaallly thin almost film like spots on the top of his water so I decided I want to upgrade his tank and get a filter, maybe a bamboo. I found a few different tanks that I may get, but I was wondering if someone could recommend some to me. I'm looking to get a 2 or 2.5 gallon since I'm in a dorm room and don't have much room. I don't really want a plain old rectangle tank, cause he is such a unique fish, I want his tank to be too. Also, could you recommend filters/heaters/aquarium kits.

Would the tank in the picture be acceptable for him?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

P.S. I can post pictures of his set up when I get back from the library.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
It would be fine, but just a warning, I tried getting this tank shipped to me and every time it arrived cracked beyond repair so I'm a little wary on its structural soundness.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to do research to get a betta for my grandma, and I saw that the MINUMUM would probably be a 3 gallon, but I would possible recommend getting a 5 or 3gallon.
Every minimum I have seen is 2.5. Thats why I want a 2 - 2.5 gal tank.

Again, I live in a dorm room night now, so I don't have the room for a large tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey there! petco.com is having a sale today if you use the code "weekend" you'll get free shipping. Also if you sign up for their Pals Rewards, you'll get a code in your email for 10% off. I definitely recommend this tank: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/aqueon-minibow-led-desktop-fish-aquarium-kit-in-white

The 5g is awesome and fits easily on top my dresser. It comes with a filter and an LED light! The filter isn't very strong either, which is great cause it won't push around the little fella. The only thing is that you will have to connect 3 things: the filter, the light hood, and a heater.

The tank you mentioned above is fine, but you won't be able to fit much in it like caves or lots of big plants for your fish friend to hide in. Also you can buy him a little friend like a mystery snail (unless he's aggressive), but that's about all a 5g will fit.

·
Registered
551 Posts
What's that weird cloudy film on the surface of your water? Did you make sure to clean your ornaments and tank thoroughly without soap before setting him up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
T
What's that weird cloudy film on the surface of your water? Did you make sure to clean your ornaments and tank thoroughly without soap before setting him up?
I am not sure. I mentioned it in my original post above. It's one of the reasons I want to get a new tank so I have room for a filter and yes I did make sure to wash everything before I set it all up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A lot of people like the Fluval Spec tanks. I'm pretty new, but love my Spec V, as does my fish. It's a 5 gallon, but they also make a Spec III that's a 2.6 gallon. The footprint is only 10.8"x 8".7 http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-A...F8&qid=1457313316&sr=8-2&keywords=Fluval+spec

I think they are very clean and modern looking. The filter is so quiet I didn't initially think it was working.

There are a few very easy and cheap modifications that you can make that make them even more Betta friendly.http://spec-tanks.com/fluval-spec-aquarium-betta-friendly/

There's even a thread for people to share info and pictures on just these two aquariums in this category, so you could get a good idea of how they look.

They are a little expensive, but I think they are worth it and you can often find sales.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
DONT GET IT!!!
Cracked for me, for my friend and generally confuses my betta.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looks like I might have to go with the fluval, but I have found a few half moons that might work. Thank you everyone for the help. If any know anymore good tasks between 2 an 2.5 lemme know

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good luck with whatever you end up with and enjoy your little buddy! I do think you'll be happy with the Fluval Spec III if that's the way you end up going.

DONT GET IT!!!
Cracked for me, for my friend and generally confuses my betta.
Which tank were you referring to? The one in the original post?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck with whatever you end up with and enjoy your little buddy! I do think you'll be happy with the Fluval Spec III if that's the way you end up going.

I have found a few others that I like. THe Marina 360 Degree and the Tetra Crescent 3. I am actually concerned about the size of the filter that comes with each tank. The Marina has it towards the back but still sees big and I guess some people's fish have swam right under it and it seems kinda big in the pictures and video I saw. and The one that comes with the Tetra takes up almost a full corner of the tank and I guess there are a few gaps that a fish could jump through (Granted Gus doesn't seem the jumping kind but a clean big tank could change that)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have found a few others that I like. THe Marina 360 Degree and the Tetra Crescent 3. I am actually concerned about the size of the filter that comes with each tank. The Marina has it towards the back but still sees big and I guess some people's fish have swam right under it and it seems kinda big in the pictures and video I saw. and The one that comes with the Tetra takes up almost a full corner of the tank and I guess there are a few gaps that a fish could jump through (Granted Gus doesn't seem the jumping kind but a clean big tank could change that)
I actually just found a video of a complete unboxing and explanation of everything for the Marina. The filter does not take up much space at all and I am not overly worried about Gus swimming under it. THere is also a nice spot for the heater so it doesn't stick out in any weird way. So I think I gonna go with that aqaurium.

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME, I am overly attatched to living things, especially animals, and really want my Gus Gus to be a happy swimmy fishy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
the one is the orginal post. It cracked for me after a few moths of use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts