How many gallons is your tank?

- 5 Gallon
Does it have a filter?
- Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Power Filter, model AT10
Does it have a heater?
- Orlushy 50W Aquarium Heater
What temperature is your tank?
- Constant 79 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
- No aeration
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
- Live plants and a single Nerite snail

Food:
What food brand do you use?

- Omega One / Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
- Betta Buffet Pellets
Freeze-dried?
- Freeze-dried bloodworm treats
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
- I attempt to feed 3 pellets in the morning and evening, or 1 bloodworm treat.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?

- Every 3 weeks
What percentage of water did you change?
- 75%
What is the source of your water?
- Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
- I use a gravel siphon
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
- I treat with Tetra AquaSafe for Bettas. I've also added API Ammo Lock, API Leaf Zone fertilizer, and Aqueon PURE live bacteria balls.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): 180 ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 180 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?

- A few hours after adding the fish to the tank
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
- He has begun to get holes in his fins, visible in the first photo.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
- He does not acknowledge me or any food, he stays in one spot and will quickly swim to the surface to take air and then quickly swim back down. This is the only activity he does. He bumps into things and his swimming is not very coordinated. He will sit in strange positions on the plants or other decor, shown in the 2nd photo.
Is your Betta still eating?
- No, he has not eaten since I have bought him, he has gone without food for 3 days.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
- I removed the betta from the tank and did 2 partial water changes.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
- I am not sure.
How long have you owned your Betta?
- 3 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
- He was very attentive and active in his cup at Petco, I did not see any damage on his fins or body.

Any help for Timid would be great, I don't want to lose such a beautiful fish so soon!

Plant Terrestrial plant Fish Wood Grass
Flower Plant Pollinator Vertebrate Insect

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there! In my experience, they can take a few days to adjust to a new environment and routine, especially when you first bring them home. You might find that they will only eat intermittently during this time, but they will eventually get used to your schedule and become a more regular eater.

I can't quite spot fin damage in your photos, but is there anything in the tank that he might be getting caught on?

I'm not too sure about his swimming behaviours, but it could also be attributed to being in a new environment? My only other thought would be to make sure they have some hiding places in the tank.

As for the strange resting places described in your 2nd photo, that's nothing to worry about, you'll find that they can be little weirdos. 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there! In my experience, they can take a few days to adjust to a new environment and routine, especially when you first bring them home. You might find that they will only eat intermittently during this time, but they will eventually get used to your schedule and become a more regular eater.

I can't quite spot fin damage in your photos, but is there anything in the tank that he might be getting caught on?

I'm not too sure about his swimming behaviours, but it could also be attributed to being in a new environment? My only other thought would be to make sure they have some hiding places in the tank.

As for the strange resting places described in your 2nd photo, that's nothing to worry about, you'll find that they can be little weirdos. 😂
Hi Ayame, thank you for responding! The damage on his fins is pretty minuscule but it is new. I don't have much that could damage his fins, It may be my spider wood or polished obsidian pieces. Have you ever experienced bettas that are completely unresponsive to you and to food? If so, what did you do to get their attention?

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
Seems there may be a small bit of ammonia that is causing you some issues. I will link a tutorial on cycling below.

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts
As said ammonia levels over 0 is toxic. I recommend a 25% water change once a week. I do see a half oval shaped chunk out of the betta's top fin it looks like she nipped it. Fin nipping is caused by stress or boredom. If you haven't already put half of a heaping tablespoon at aquarium salt in the 5 gallon tank to prevent infection. Besides the water change schedule you are doing amazing caring for your fish. BTW your betta is posh. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As said ammonia levels over 0 is toxic. I recommend a 25% water change once a week. I do see a half oval shaped chunk out of the betta's top fin it looks like she nipped it. Fin nipping is caused by stress or boredom. If you haven't already put half of a heaping tablespoon at aquarium salt in the 5 gallon tank to prevent infection. Besides the water change schedule you are doing amazing caring for your fish. BTW your betta is posh. Best of luck!
Thank you for the great advice and compliments! I'll get on the water change and salting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that Timid has just passed away. :( I am still not sure why, I just saw him swim extremely erratically, and then sink to the bottom and stop breathing. I am thinking that there was an issue with him before I bought him, his health degraded very very rapidly. Thank you all for your additions, any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
422 Posts
UPDATE:
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that Timid has just passed away. :( I am still not sure why, I just saw him swim extremely erratically, and then sink to the bottom and stop breathing. I am thinking that there was an issue with him before I bought him, his health degraded very very rapidly. Thank you all for your additions, any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again would be appreciated.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Well, If you are getting another betta, I would reset the tank. If he was young a death like this is not usual, so id reset the tank just to be on the safe side of disease. 2nd, watch where you are buying bettas. I recommend buying bettas from reputable breeders. Pet store bettas can be great but they sit in those cups a lot so disease can happen. I personally recommend keepfishkeeping.com for buying bettas. They are high quality, care about the fish, and they have a large youtube channel in the fishkeeping community. KGtropicals. Here is how they package their fish.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtvGxbrFhs BTW I am not sponsored I am just a fan of how they handle fish!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

Well, If you are getting another betta, I would reset the tank. If he was young a death like this is not usual, so id reset the tank just to be on the safe side of disease. 2nd, watch where you are buying bettas. I recommend buying bettas from reputable breeders. Pet store bettas can be great but they sit in those cups a lot so disease can happen. I personally recommend keepfishkeeping.com for buying bettas. They are high quality, care about the fish, and they have a large youtube channel in the fishkeeping community. KGtropicals. Here is how they package their fish.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtvGxbrFhs BTW I am not sponsored I am just a fan of how they handle fish!
I agree, I believe keepfishkeeping.com is a wonderful place to buy bettas. I personally haven't bought any of their bettas because they don't ship to my state, but i wish I could. They even include videos of their bettas so you can see what they look like when they swim!

·
Banned
Bettas: Strider, Smauge, Val, Kumar, Lady, Cookies, Donatella, Nerissa, and Tabitha. L Gecko: George
417 Posts
UPDATE:
Oh I'm so sorry.... 😞

·
Registered
266 Posts
UPDATE:
I'm so sorry to hear about Timid. :(
Agreed with Aidan. Reset the tank.
If you're not sure how then deconstruct the tank by draining it, taking everything out and rinsing everything thoroughly with tap water only, then refil with untreated tap water and let it sit for a day this is one time where puttting everything back in and refilling with chlorinated water actually is the thing to do so it can help make sure any lingering rogue bacteria are gone. Then do a complete Water change and refill with conditioned water before you get your next fish.

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
422 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Timid. :(
Agreed with Aidan. Reset the tank.
If you're not sure how then deconstruct the tank by draining it, taking everything out and rinsing everything thoroughly with tap water only, then refil with untreated tap water and let it sit for a day this is one time where puttting everything back in and refilling with chlorinated water actually is the thing to do so it can help make sure any lingering rogue bacteria are gone. Then do a complete Water change and refill with conditioned water before you get your next fish.
If you want to absolutely clean it, bleach the entire tank, then rinse until there is no more bleach anywhere. It is risky but is the best way to be sure you will never see those exact bacterias. It isn't risky if you are careful. You need to be thorough. Certain pieces will be replaced, carbon cartridges, and or sponge filters. If my fish die from old age, I will just do a 100% water change, and let it run for a week. If their is multiple fish in the tank I just do a 50% and call it there. Never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
Archie and Oscar and many snails! 4 amazing dogs
678 Posts
UPDATE:
I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts