Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am very new to life as a betta owner.
I only bought my new betta yesterday after having his tank set up for a week as per advice received at the fish store.
I'm looking at him now and it seems that his head has gone really dark, almost black? I'm worried that I've done something wrong.
I have him in a 9L tank (approx. 2.3 gallons I believe) which was recommended to me at the shop. I have a filter running, and a heater set at 25 degrees celsius.

He seems to be okay otherwise as best I know. He'll start swimming around and come up to me if I go over near the tank, and he did eat this morning when I fed him.

I've attached some photos, one being just of him in his current set up, sorry the quality is bad but he is difficult to capture!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the ph level is somewhere between 7.0 and 7.5, it was hard to match the colour to the sheet.
He also seems to spend a bit of time at the bottom of the tank. Is this bad?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Its not unusual for betta's to colour up slightly when they settle in their new home. From what I can tell from the picture it looks to be normal colouring to me. a lot of betta's do have a dark head.

Just keep an eye on your Ammonia and Nitrite levels as with a new set up this will be what will affect him the most, if not kept in check.

I would also suggest getting him some silk plants with wide leaves that will sit close to the surface just to provide him with some resting places near the surface should he wish to.

But all is looking good from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Resting on the bottom is quite normal, provided he is upright and not lying on his side. They will go into a sleep mode where they will be perfectly still and hardly even look like they are breathing, this is perfectly normal so don't panic if you see him doing that. Just don't try and prod him or tap the tank when you see him doing that or you will startle him and he will be disorientated if woken too fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your reply. It's definitely put my mind at ease. I just want to do the best I can and look after him properly.

It was definitely already on my agenda for tomorrow to get some silk plants, thanks for the suggestion! And definitely a different ornament for the tank, I just have the one that came with the tank and it looks like creepy fingers haha.

And it's also good to know that he's okay at the bottom of the tank. He's definitely not on his side or anything, I'll just let him do his thing then :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The creepy fingers, lol, is meant to be bamboo but I know what you mean they even have five bamboo shoots.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
i agree that it is probably his natural colouring. Many betta's are very stressed at pet stores so they loose their color a bit. Once you take them home and put them in clean water their colors can shift as they become less stressed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Resting on the bottom is quite normal, provided he is upright and not lying on his side. They will go into a sleep mode where they will be perfectly still and hardly even look like they are breathing, this is perfectly normal so don't panic if you see him doing that. Just don't try and prod him or tap the tank when you see him doing that or you will startle him and he will be disorientated if woken too fast.
side note: my boy is a fool when it comes to this, he will literally float semi flared in the water slooooowly drifting around until he bumps into something and then FULL FLARE "WTF!!!?" back to sleep. i will get a video of this. Sorry rambling and off topic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yay bettas

I've had my boy Gilbert a few weeks now. He's begun building a second bubble nest (I did his second water change yesterday) I'm noticing his fins look a bit torn and I'm fearing it from racing through the plastic plant at the bottom of the tank. I plan on getting silk ones or a second java fern / java moss. This forum has been great so far so Welcome. My little guy brightened up and his head darkened a bit when I brought him home as well. It's a big adjustment going from a cup to a tank. From the bettas I've seen and posts I've read thus far he looks great to me. I hope you get a much use from this forum as I am finding its a big help for new over cautious parents like us :D

My little guy flares often too. Mostly if I go near his nest or stare at him too much. Hes such a show off haha. Some are chill some are all about being the center of attention. They have crazy personalities it's part of what makes them all awesome.

·
Super Moderator
19,215 Posts
To all members: The Moderation has tried to have the Administrators edit the platform so "Recommended Reading" does not include threads more than a year old. As you can see, that has not happened. So please note dates before you reply. And trust me, I've overlooked thread dates, too.

Thank you.

Closed. Old Thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.