Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post and I'm new to Betta fish care. First I want to thank those of you who set up this forum. I have learned SO MUCH just browsing through the posts here. From what I've read, I'm really not sure if I need to be worried or not. I've had my Betta for about 10 days now and I have not seen him eat a single thing. I've tried Aqueon betta pellets, Omega betta flakes, freeze dried blood worms - and I even tried soaking the pellets in garlic. Anyway, that along with one other odd thing has me worried. The other odd thing is that his dorsal fin curls over a bit at the top and looks a little thin, I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's almost looks like it could be disintegrating, but I can't really see any holes or anything, it doesn't look like it's torn. It's been like that since we got him and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but also not any better. It's so subtle that I'm not even able to get a photo of it. Should I be worried? What should I do? I would truly appreciate any advice that you can provide. Thanks in advance!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Top Fin® 5 Gallon Glass Aquarium
Does it have a filter? Yes, the filter that came with it
Does it have a heater? Yes, Grreat Choice 15 watt heater

What temperature is your tank? Regularly about 84 degrees - is that too hight? I've been thinking about switching to the 7.5 watt heater.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None
I should probably note here that I removed the plastic plants that we originally got for the tank after reading posts here. I am trying out an Anubias plant and mondo grass, 1 of each. He seems to love the anubias, although I'm not sure if either will make it. I don't exactly have a green thumb.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon Pellets, Omega Flakes
Do you feed flakes or pellets? see above
Freeze-dried? Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I try one pellet, one flake and one blood worm every morning and every night. I end up sucking them back out with a turkey baster sometimes minutes later, sometimes hours later. He never eats any of it.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I've only had him for about 10 days. Prior to that the tank was set up for about 2 weeks with the filter running 24/7 and the light 12 hours on and 12 hours off.
What percentage of water did you change? Since I've had him I've done 2 water changes. One 25% water change with a turkey baster trying to clean the gravel and one that was a little over 50% with a gravel vacuum.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? Prime seachem about 1/2 ml each time

Water Parameters: I'm sorry, but I can't provide this information. We had the water tested a few times before we got our betta and petsmart told us each time that the water was "fine" - let me know if you recommend me having it tested again. I would prefer not to buy a test kit. I do have pool testing strips - would those work?

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 10 days ago when we brought him home.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? It has not.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It has not. He's a friendly little guy, he loves his SpongeBob and Squidward houses, he pops in and out of them all the time. He also sleeps on a big anubias leaf that's close to the surface at night. He does a little dance at the front of the tank every time I come near it.
Is your Betta still eating? No, that's my problem!
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, I don't know what else to do.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? 10 Days - I rescued him from a tiny cup in PetSmart.

I'd also like to say one more thing... I am open to ANY AND ALL suggestions or comments. I would LOVE some feedback on things I'm doing well and things I should change. Thank you so much!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have researched about this because one of my guys is curled in the same manner. I'm trying to recall what I read but I think it's from stinky water and that's the way it grew back and it does them no harm. Over time my guys have unkinked a little but the water changes are so important to do.

Also since your tank is not cycled things can reach dangerous levels frequently...that's why it's so important to have that test kit. You need to test often in the beginning to make sure all is alright.

You should get an adjustable heater...you have a five gallon tank so that would be ideal. 84 is too high.

So he has not eaten in 10 days? Are you soaking the pellets in tank water?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding!! I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced test kit on Amazon. Do you think it would be okay to just go with the 7.5 watt heater? Do you have any recommendations for either a test kit or heater?

I've tried everything with the food. Soaked in tank water, soaked in garlic, nothing works!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the eating yet...he's still kind of new..I had a guy who took awhile to eat...it looked like he didn't realize it was food.

I know the test kits can be pricey... I got mine when petco.com had a sale..I got it for I think it was $24.00. I had ebay open so I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/API-FRESHWA...602178?hash=item51ad586442:g:xB4AAOSwstxVFAnf

I have bought the 7.5 and 10 watt heaters...i've had some work really well and some that just don't. I'm not buying them anymore. I also see very cheap heaters on ebay (if money is a consideration) for under 5.00 you would want 25 watts for the 5 gallon.
I use the 25 watts in my 2.5 gallon tanks and they work great.

I have bought all my 25 watt heaters from Dr. Foster and Smith for $15 and change Hydor brand...free shipping at $49.00 which I have no problem meeting...LOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I first got my betta, he didn't eat for a week. Then he would eat sometimes, but sometimes he'd just spit out the pellets (I feed my Aqueon Pellets too). It turned out in my case that my betta has a small mouth and the pellets were just too big for him. I now crush the pellets and then sprinkle the crumbs into the tank and he goes nuts for it. Maybe your betta just has a small mouth. My guy also goes nuts for frozen bloodworms (not freeze dried), they were actually the first thing I could get him to eat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@cakes488 thanks for the info, I'll definitely change the heater and get the test kit in the next few days. I'm feeling a little less worries now to hear that others have seen this kind of thing before. My guy seems the same way about the food, like he just doesn't even know that it's food - no reaction at all to it.

@shiroha my guy did that same thing the very first day we got him, he went for the pellet then spit it right back out. If it's a small mouth thing, you'd think he would go for the flakes... I'll try crushing up the pellets and the frozen blood worms and see if that helps at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My boy went through a very similar thing with the pellets! It turns out that at the PetCo I bought him from, they only fed frozen and live foods. Since that's what my betta was accustomed to, it only took about five different pellet/flake food brands and him getting a bit sick from not eating for over a week for me to switch his diet to all frozen and live. Now he's wonderfully vibrant and lively!

I second picking up some sort of frozen food like bloodworms to see if he'll eat them. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you're looking for a good quality heater I'd get a Hydor Theo 25 or 50 watt adjustable. They're $17 ish on Amazon and worth it. You set the temp you want (ideally 78ish) and it only turns on when it needs to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts