Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a Male Crowntail for our seven year old last week. We have a 10 gallon tank, added the water treatment and bacteria starter, waited a few days, and brought home the betta. It's been 6 days and it hasn't eaten anything as far as we know. We were given a vacation feeder, which we added, but we haven't seen him nibbling it. We have tried a couple different types of food, but no interest.
Ammonia,Nitrate, and Nitrite are all 0, PH is a battle to lower past 7.4. We had a live plant with him, but the ph was not lowering despite adding PH reducer.Todays test was about 7.4
We really don't want our fish to die, so what can we do to help it eat?

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Hi, sorry to hear that, and here is just my opinion to share :
  • Health : betta can still be very well and active if wtihout food for a week or more. from the photo, she is not doing well in the water (that is besides the food), I think the water is not suitable
  • Eating : some fish are picky , and only used to the specific type of food pellet they are familiar with. They treat other types of food pallete (different smell) not as food. Yes what you doing is right, try diffreent type of pallete, but yes too, they might still not taking it. Under such circumstances you may either 'Starve him for days so that he get very huntry' - Or "feed him some live food first".

There are other ways which requires some tank mates together to help him eating.

In any case, I think his health and the water is the most important thing for now.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

I second imooi‘s information that he is probably not used to pellets and will eventually take it if no other food is offered.

You could also crush it up a bit for him.
Or offer him frozen (not freeze-dried) food if you want to see him eating right away.
Only feed a tiny bit though (bloodworms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp) and stow the rest in the fridge.
Any leftovers in the tank need to be removed with a tank dedicated, clean turkey baster or a siphon. Also the remains of the vacation feeder. A newly set up tank can not handle to break down such an amount of uneaten food.

As you‘re currently doing fish-in cycling, I would recommend following this easy tutorial.
It is safe for your fish and you don‘t get confused on how often and how much water you should be changing:

Cycling-the 2 sentence tutorial

Water conditions, as also mentioned by imooi, are important to watch - especially during the cycling phase which can take a few weeks.

I would refrain from using common pH downer products.
Domestic Bettas can tolerate higher pH parameters but are sensitive to sudden changes and fluctuations and you usually don‘t get a stable pH with these products.
You could use dried Indian Almond Leaves or dried Oak and Beech Leaves instead.

I‘ll leave a link to one of our "sticky notes" on top of each sub-forum. They provide excellent information. This one is on basic care:

Betta Basics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the helpful advise! We're continuing to make sure his tank is suitable for him, ph seems to be holding still, and I'm going to try and track down an Indian Almond leaf.
We tried frozen blood worms today, and he gobbled them up! I let him eat for a few minutes and removed the uneaten ones, and Myron(the fish) is now swimming about his tank, exploring in a way he's never done before!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts