Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a betta and decided to get another. Kind of spur of the moment but we had another tank ready and were kind of toying with the idea and then happened to see a cute one at a big brand pet store. His container conditions were pretty dirty; lots of things floating around and cloudy water. Was really annoyed that his conditions were like this and we decided to take him home. He's a Halfmoon

Anyway, sorry for the long background info. The current predicament is this: I think he was sick at the store and is still sick. It's been over a day in the new tank and he doesn't move. Just sits there in the plants. Also, he does have a slight bulge; so I was thinking maybe he was constipated. After fasting him for a day we dropped a small piece of a pea by him and he didn't even move or seem interested. Tried two more and same result, no interest. He only swims when we disturb the tank, like by taking off the top and when he does swim it seems normal.

No scales seem to be popping out. The only other visual thing is that his Ventral fins seem kind of droopy compared to our other beta who swims around and tucks them against his body (they are in separate tanks). We haven't seem him poop or anything yet.

I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas of what might be wrong. If there is any other information needed just let me know. Since he does have that bulge I don't think its new tank shock but who knows. Any ideas other than just take it day by day and see if things improve?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,461 Posts
Sorry your new Betta isn't doing well. Please fill out this form so we can best help you. Without it all anyone can do is guess. You may have given some of the answers but the questionnaire gives the most important information in quick-reference form. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Brine & Flakes (SF Bay brand)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Yes; one day might be Brine, the next day flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Will plan on feeding 1-2 small meals a day with a fast day every week or two

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? N/A
What percentage of water did you change? N/A
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? N/A
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Stability & Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Unfortunately, I don't have this info

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? In the pet store
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? unknown
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? no change
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Fasting?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Unknown
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 day
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? We think so

·
Registered
Bettas..a mix of em
116 Posts
Very nice of you to purchase him and hope he improves but if he doesnt, hold onto the receipt, call the pet store and see what is the fish died/return policy. This is if all goes bad.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,461 Posts
He appears to be bloated. You can do a "dip" of one tablespoon plain, unscented Epsom Salt per gallon of treated water. Prime is two drops per gallon. Leave him in dip for no more than 15 minutes. Do not leave him should he stress. Let us know if this helps alleviate the bloat.

Please answer the food and maintenance questions based on what you intend and what you've bought. Some foods can contribute to bloat so the brand is important.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We put him in a half gallon container today with 1/2 tablespoon of salt for 15 minutes. He swam around a little in the mixture but didn't seem stressed. He's back in his tank and just swam over to his hiding spot and hasn't moved. How long does it typically take to see improvement?

Edit: After waiting a couple hours we put a little brine shrimp in his tank. He actually went over and ate a piece but spit it right back out and ignored the rest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uh..guys...so tonight we observed this thing that came out of him and was still stuck to him...anyone seen something like this and know what it is?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would assume that are the peas + poop.
How is he doing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the reply! I never saw him eat the pea; and we only gave him 1/4 of a pea and i can still see it on the bottom of the tank. I'll remove it. I am starting to think that giant thing I took a picture of last night was just a bowel movement. Today I found it on the bottom and removed it and he actually ate some brine shrimp and moved around a little bit after he was eating; I think he was maybe looking for more. Then he went to his spot and just sat there again. So, not 100% but at least improvement. I'm going to give him another Epsom salt dip tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good to hear!

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
I think the poor boy was constipated! Glad to hear he passed it. How is he doing this morning?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's moving around a bit. Do you think I should stick with my plan and give him another Epsom salt dip today?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys, appreciate the input and help. I think this one is going to make it; moving around a lot today and much more interested in food. Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts