Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I use API Quick Start Nitrifying Bacteria. If you already have an old, cycled tank, you can also use the old filter there. It has filter media that has colonies of bacteria in it. You can ask a friend for some!
thanks! I will look for that tomorrow. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone that owns a fish to ask, so I will try with your suggestion 😊

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello, that looks like one beautiful betta, unfortunate that people think that they can just put their betta in a bowl, right? right away, I can see that the previous owner has been over feeding the fish and I recommend to give the fish a couple epsom salt baths, (Salt Baths) you should throw away the “glow in the dark” gravel and try using a planted tank, other wise, I love the choice of tank size. :)
thanks! Yes I’m definitely trying to give this fella a better life. I tried putting in a Marimo ball and this jelly type build up starting growing on it 2 days in. Is this normal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Are you vacuuming the substrate when you do water changes? I’m a bit perplexed but I would double the prime dose until it’s cleared up if it were my tank.
Most of the ammonia on tanks comes from the gunk in the substrate. So if you are dipping out and not seeing much change than I suspect it needs a really good vacuum.
A little progress 🤞 View attachment 1024984

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
353 Posts
He's marbling-just gaining his mature colors. Nothing to worry about-he is very pretty!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi All!
I wanted to thank you all for your help and let you know his progress has been amazing (thanks to your assistance). I am sharing a picture to show. Top pictures are now and bottom are the day I “rescued” him. His fins are growing like crazy, his back is straight again and his belly is not swollen anymore. Thank you ❤

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Sara,
I have cleaning subtrate with a baster and it seems to have done the trick.
I’m attaching the most recent water test results which I find are doing much better.

Thank you!!! You’ve been amazing 😊

Are you vacuuming the substrate when you do water changes? I’m a bit perplexed but I would double the prime dose until it’s cleared up if it were my tank.
Most of the ammonia on tanks comes from the gunk in the substrate. So if you are dipping out and not seeing much change than I suspect it needs a really good vacuum.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Sara,
I have cleaning subtrate with a baster and it seems to have done the trick.
I’m attaching the most recent water test results which I find are doing much better.

Thank you!!! You’ve been amazing 😊 View attachment 1025618
Much better! Are you following the cycling tutorial? I would still add 2 drops of prime per gallon daily until it is cycled. Great job! I love seeing sick to healthy photos :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts