Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Sorta. I have had Betta's before. I was around 14 or so when I last had them. I had no clue they couldnt be in vases and such. Anyways, I bought a Betta a week ago and go him this tank.. then I bought another Betta with another one of the same tanks. So long story short, I have 3 betta's and my nephew has 1 betta.

There are 2 Betta's in 2 of these: 1 per tank.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1...HPStwNw&sourceid=02436513791233204346&veh=aff

The 3rd is in this one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Bubbling-LED-Half-Moon-Aquarium-Kit-1ct/16940357

The 4th was a random fluke, he was in a wicked small container. He was orange and I fell in love. He is in this one.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17248150&findingMethod=rr

Now, that I researched more and more. I find that the 3 of the 4 are not what I really like. The 3 gal one is my favorite.

Anyways, I started looking on here and see that some keep them in the critter cages with a heater in the bottom. I am looking for newer tanks that cost less then $20 each. Also, since I wont be able to buy them this month, I am hoping to at least get 1 this month. But for now I was wondering what heaters will be appropriate for all these tanks.

Also, water changes? I see people do 50% water changes, what does this involve? Is it just dumping out half the water then refilling it.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I can't help on the heater, but I can for water changes. I often do 100% water changes because my tank is only 2 gallons and I have no filter or heaters. I do this from every other day to every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes if I feel like he needs another cleaning, I do 50 to 75%, which is just changing the water, or half the water. 100% for me involves cleaning all the decor as well as washing the gravel under hot water and removing food/poop.
I like it that when I add water, there's nothing floating at all in the water. Also I used a water conditioner, to help make the water better. Some people also use AQ salt, but I'm only using it for his fin issues. Other than that, it's mainly personal preference in how you want to clean the tank :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sorry, I can't tell you much about heaters that small. You could also get a 10 gallon kit and divide it between 3 males. For this, you can get nice fully submersible and adjustable heaters.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
The tetra preset heaters they sell at Walmart for around $11 are pretty reliable in my smaller tanks (3 gallons & smaller). I've actually had better luck with them than the fancier, big heaters that you can adjust. Pretty good price too. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to Walmart again tonight for mosquito after bite stuff, and I checked the fish heaters. My walmart only carries the $20 heaters. Hopefully I can do the bigger tank sooner. Pet Smart is 40 miles away from me. I need to find a local pet store.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
40 Miles? :O Woah my mom hates driving me 15 minutes to petco, ha! I'd never get to go if it were that far!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I actually have the 3 gal Hawkeye tank, that I have been using for about 3mons and it's been working fine. Our Sammy loves it, when it's water change time, you can do the 50-85% with a Sipon, and take out as much water as you can, leaving some for fishy, or take fishy out, and take out all decor, except for gravel, but with sipon do the Vaccuming in the gravel. to remove all the debris, (poop and uneaten food) and then condition new water, and add half back to tank, add decor, then fishy, and that's it, for a heater, I have the Tetra 2-10 gal heater preset, and keeps tank at 78d steady.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts