Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased our first beta fish, I had the water tested and things were/are going well, I think.....

He seems to be spending a lot of time wrapped around the water heater or lying on the bottom of the tanks.

His tanks seems to have bubbles/foam on top.

Does any of this sound normal or do I have something to worry about?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It does sound normal. How long have you had the tank? Does he eat well and respond to you when he feeds, or you coming into the room? Are there lots of places to hide in the tank?

If you give him some time to adjust to the tank you will see a different behavior. If you have a planted tank ( and I mean heavily planted tank) with enough plants for him to hide among, and floating plants to hide under he will adjust to the tank easier and quicker. Betta love a lot of cover it gives them a sense of safety. Especially with floating plants. (safety from above) What temp. is your heater set for? Betta require a water temperature of between 76-82 degrees. It is recommended for the temp of the tank to remain constant at around 78 degrees. If the temp is too low and he wraps himself around it It could be he is trying to stay warm or this is the only thing in the tank he has to rest and sleep on. The bubbles on top are a sign he is making this tank his own and he is comfortable. This is a bubble nest and they blow them quite often to show they are ready to breed. ( and I'm not saying that he should be bread. ) For a first time owner I would suggest enjoying your betta and watching his antics and getting use to how he shows his love to you. (he will because Betta have a personality, each one is different). So If your meeting his needs with quality water, and the right temp, quality food and a good home with lots of attention. Al these things are normal.

Your a first time keeper and there is a learning curve. We here at the forum try and make this as easy as we can and help you to make the right decisions for your charge. We offer tested results in many different forms , but know these are suggestions, what works for one may not work for another. So no one answer is right or wrong. I have kept Betta now for 45+ years and there are some here that have over 50 years as a keeper. We are here to help and guide. we do not condemn any one for their answers (Unless it would injure or do harm to your betta.)

Welcome to the forum where any question is answered. And every one is respected.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. Agreed with everything mentioned.

Additionally, if you don't have a heater that allows you to set a temp, I'd first look into what temperature the water is at different points of the day (if possible). Fluctuating temperatures can make your betta less likely to move around/be active and more susceptible to diseases. If the temperature is around the same temp for the majority of the day (and between the ranges given above) he may just be getting situated to the tank and as mentioned, find the heater comfortable if there aren't many plants above to lay on. However, if it's not in the ranges/too low for your liking, I'd suggest looking into another heater.

There's a sweet spot for worrying and not worrying about things; if you do some research on some things you are a little concerned about, such as bubble nests (the bubbles/foam you mentioned) they're totally normal, and therefore you don't need to worry about it further. However, if something is much more concerning in the sense you know it's just not right, research and asking around is definitely good.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
We recently purchased our first beta fish, I had the water tested and things were/are going well, I think.....

He seems to be spending a lot of time wrapped around the water heater or lying on the bottom of the tanks.

His tanks seems to have bubbles/foam on top.

Does any of this sound normal or do I have something to worry about?
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Can you post a photo of the entire tank? And one of the bubbles/foam?

For me it is hard to answer questions such as yours unless I have a visual. As suggested, the bubbles/foam is probably a bubble nest....but maybe not. Know they are only a sign Betta have reached sexual maturity; they are not a sign they are "happy" or healthy.

IME, the best thing...beyond plants....you can buy is an API test kit. This will allow you to keep his water parameters exactly where they need to be for optimum health and longevity. If Ammonia or Nitrites reach .25ppm do a 25% water change. Easy peasy. ;-)

Forgot: To post photos click on "Go Advanced" and then either the paper clip in the tool bar or "Manage Attachments."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Its all foreign to me this tropical fish stuff.

He has heater its set to 26 degrees which is your 78.8F. I have managed to keep him alive for a week now and I'm starting to relax a little.

He seems kind of lazy, he hides behind the heater a lot.

I struggle with the very small amount we have to feed him. It seems so little and half the time he doesn't notice we've put it in the tank and I'm not sure if he actually eats. Some days he does grab a couple of tiny pellets other days not.

He doesn't really respond to us much, he's usually hiding behind the heater.

We just did a 20% water change. I went and bought a ph tester so I've tested that a couple of times this week as well. I'm forever topping up the tank due to the evaporation from the heater.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Hi, there's some good advice in this thread and RussellTheShihTzu asked some good questions to help us understand his environment and care.

I noticed you mentioned the amount of evaporation from your tank. One word of caution, these little guys are jumpers, it's normal behavior for them. The unfortunate consequence is that they will jump out of their tanks if there is no lid to prevent them from doing so. If you do not have a lid, there are many options such as craft mesh, plastic wrap or even a purpose build lid for the tank.

How long have you had him? At first, they usually are shy, but after a little acclimatization, they should be out exploring and interacting with you, excitedly "dancing" for you when they see you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Yes we have a lid for his tank, the pet shop informed us they are jumpers and that I need to be careful.

We have had him 9 days now, I have noticed yesterday and today he's a little more active. I increased his food a little and I've seen him eating now so I'm much happier.

My brother in law got me some coral for his filter, he has tropical fish and he said coral keeps the ph stable so I'll give that a go.

The bubbles/foam have gone now and he only has a little 9litre tank, I have artificial plants in there and asian style structure for him to hide in but so far he likes the spot behind the heater.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm attempting to load an image for you all. Ok that's a photo but for some reason its sideways! Sorry about that.

Maybe he needs some more plants?? I've just been reading other messages on the forum and it seems he needs more places to hide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes I would put in some floating plants since there is no substrate. I think the plastic plants may tear fins. I would recommend either live or silk plants. you might add a nice broad leaf Anubias which doesn't have to be planted and would give not only a hide but a resting place in the leaves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks OldDog59, I'll drop up to the pet shop to see if I can get some. My brother in law might have some as well.

I was just cooking dinner for the kids and I noticed he was exploring under the structure thing I put in last week. I was happy to see him exploring a little further. He as doing laps up and down between the plant leaves and the glass the other day, almost like he was getting a massage. He did that for about 15 mins but I haven't seen him do it since.

He's definitely a lot more active now and is showing signs of interacting with us.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad he's more active.

In terms of plants/advice regarding plants, I find that large-leafed silk plants tend to take up a decent bit of room and therefore will provide suitable shade/cover for your boy. Previously owning a 2.5 gal (9.4 liters), they would usually take up a decent portion of my tank and still leave room for other plants, and if you can find ones that are taller, then they can provide excellent cover. They also are usually pretty colorful and mildly fancy-looking lol. Plastic plants aren't bad by any means, but if you drag a soft "cloth" (many use hose to test it out) across them and it tears, then it will definitely tear your betta's fins.

Live plants can be difficult if you're not careful and in a tank that's 2.3 gal (9 liters) then it might be hard to have them, compared to a larger tank. However, if you wanted them, you could definitely go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey All,

Thanks for the all the tips. Another successful visit to the pet shop and we dropped another pineapple (Aussie slang for $50) on new plants and better quality food for Nemo.

I also had our water tested and it was perfect so I was really happy with that. I got a leaf hammock as well. Nemo is flat out exploring his new digs and seems really content!

I have added some photos of our stunning boy and the new tank furniture!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey All,

Quick update, Nemo is doing fantastically and has 2 new brothers!! You guys didn't warn me that these guys are kind of addictive!

So we have a second dual tank with Neptune and Venus in it. Sadly we had Pluto but he just wasn't right from when I bought him home, he never ate and sadly only lasted 5 days. Neptune is doing really well though and Venus has just joined him in the dual tank. Venus is eating and looking brilliant, much better than Pluto ever did.

All going well here, tanks are well cycled and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your a first time keeper and there is a learning curve. We here at the forum try and make this as easy as we can and help you to make the right decisions for your charge. We offer tested results in many different forms , but know these are suggestions, what works for one may not work for another. So no one answer is right or wrong. I have kept Betta now for 45+ years and there are some here that have over 50 years as a keeper. We are here to help and guide. we do not condemn any one for their answers (Unless it would injure or do harm to your betta.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts