Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had him for just under a week, and he seems to be doing really well. His colours are popping, he eats well and seems pretty content in his heated, filtered and cycled 4.5 gallon tank. Water levels are coming up constantly clear, he's got a well stocked, big clean tank with tons of hiding places, plants and a few ghost shrimp to bully.
I've noticed that towards late afternoon and evening in particular, he begins to pace one side of the tank, with his nose to the glass. He swims up and down and then from edge to edge of that one side over and over and over for up to an hour at a time, then taking a break and inspecting all his plants before going back to it.. I can't figure out if he's seeing his reflection and is chasing it, if he gets bored towards the end of the day, or if he's just a bit of a weirdo.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
:dunno:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've had him for just under a week, and he seems to be doing really well. His colours are popping, he eats well and seems pretty content in his heated, filtered and cycled 4.5 gallon tank. Water levels are coming up constantly clear, he's got a well stocked, big clean tank with tons of hiding places, plants and a few ghost shrimp to bully.
I've noticed that towards late afternoon and evening in particular, he begins to pace one side of the tank, with his nose to the glass. He swims up and down and then from edge to edge of that one side over and over and over for up to an hour at a time, then taking a break and inspecting all his plants before going back to it.. I can't figure out if he's seeing his reflection and is chasing it, if he gets bored towards the end of the day, or if he's just a bit of a weirdo.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
:dunno:
I have no explanation but mine and others do it also. Harmless. Maybe boredom?It's called glass surfing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mine do that when I go near their tank. I'm not sure about doing it for that long, but I've never heard of it causing any problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My old betta didn't do that but my new one does... He is so absorbed in it he doesn't see food when I drop it into the tank. He ignores sinking pieces of it too when he's near the side of the tank -______- he worries me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts