Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I recently got my betta one week ago. He’s been doing well, active, eating great.

I did a fishless cycle for 4 weeks, and made sure everything was in normal parameters before introducing the fish to the aquarium. Temperature has been a steady 77/78 F.

With that being said I ordered him online, and he was sold as a White Dumbo Platinum Pegasus Halfmoon male. In the ad he was all white (pic # 3), first picture is the night he was introduced to the aquarium, the second pic is a week later (today). Now I emailed them asking about the flesh color & torn fins. They said it was either stress related from the trip (sent fedex 2 days), or the lighting.

My question is, is this fin rot? And how do I treat it? Or is it just his real color? I know it’s not from my aquarium, and he’s the only fish in the tank. Do I have to use medication? Or just let it correct itself since the water is cleaner than what he was in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you… -Sarah
Plant Green Organism Grass Terrestrial plant
Water Vertebrate Fin Organism Underwater

Vertebrate Fin Fish Fish supply Tail

·
Registered
56 Posts
HI Hi,
hopefully some expert will be able to give you a much accurate assessment or opinion, but below is juts my personal opinon :
  • in my opinion the fish you gotten may or maynot be the same one as their photo, due to the color on the fin which differs, but from the same line/same breed. just me opinion
  • fin rot can be caused by stress, although usually 2-3 days of shipment would not give problem
  • as I know fin rot is hard to be treated or recover
  • with my a bit of experience previously with crown tail, to help the betta to grow back their fin, the tank will need a bit of water flow.

just my opinions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Hi,
hopefully some expert will be able to give you a much accurate assessment or opinion, but below is juts my personal opinon :
  • in my opinion the fish you gotten may or maynot be the same one as their photo, due to the color on the fin which differs, but from the same line/same breed. just me opinion
  • fin rot can be caused by stress, although usually 2-3 days of shipment would not give problem
  • as I know fin rot is hard to be treated or recover
  • with my a bit of experience previously with crown tail, to help the betta to grow back their fin, the tank will need a bit of water flow.

just my opinions
I was told by 2 people that the pink color may be his real color, so I was wondering too if it’s the same fish in the ad? The cost listed for him was $35. I googled his breed/morph and they’re all pure white no hint of pink. I just want to know if it is fin rot, did I catch it in time? He’s actively swimming and eating without an issue. Not getting sick or sicker. He doesn’t act sick at all. I did use aquarium salt prior to him being placed in the aquarium. The filter gives off a nice waterfall affect from above if that’s what you mean as in water flow? Thank you for responding though, even if it’s a personal opinion!

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Can you get a picture of him fully spreading his fins? A mirror or pencil tip on the screen might help.

He has no fin rot, by the way. He appears to be biting his fins.

Pristine water conditions, Indian Almond Leaves or plain, unscented Rooibos Tea will help to avoid any infections.

I would also go for soft plants like silk ones and do the "panty hose test" on the cave:
Run some nylons through all sides of the cave. If they snag, so will his fins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purple Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

Flower Plant Green Purple Petal

His damage or whatever was going on with his fins happened prior to me getting him. I tested everything when I bought them, and couldn’t find sharp edges on anything. This is the best I can get of him. It’s like he knows I have a camera and it’s a game because the moment I come up to the aquarium with it he’s starts swimming around like look at me…weeeeee, I’m graceful. He stares at me all the time and comes up to the front the moment I walk in the room. Can he get at the top fin? Or do you think he was being nipped at prior to me getting him?

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
He is indeed biting or had been biting during transport. There‘s already new, clear tissue growing back. So it looks like he is not biting at the moment.
Flower Purple Petal Organism Terrestrial plant

You are already doing a very good job by keeping his water pristine and he has no signs of any bacterial infection on the fins' ends.

I hope for you he will not start biting again but there‘s no guarantee. Some stop and never start again and some continue to nip.
I read on this forum that Platinum lines are more prone to biting and that it is hard to breed out.

Reasons are not clear. We can only try and make the tank a cosy home by keeping it not too bright, some cover from top and soft plants. And keeping water clean and rich with tannins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is indeed biting or had been biting during transport.

You are already doing a very good job with keeping his water pristine and he has no signs of any bacterial infection on the fins' ends.

I hope for you he will not start biting again but there‘s no guarantee. Some stop and never start again and some continue to nip.
I read on this forum that Platinum lines are more prone to biting and that it is hard to breed out.

Reasons are not clear. We can only try and make the tank a cosy home by keeping it not too bright, some cover from top and soft plants. And keeping water clean and rich with tannins.
Sounds good. I appreciate your help so much!!! He’s a cool little dude and I haven’t seen him bite at his fins. But I don’t know what he does while I’m asleep or at work. I always see him swimming around and trying to get my attention. I hope he doesn’t start again, or it was from where ever he was at. I leave a soft light on during the day, then turn it to a soft blue light at dusk, eventually leave it off completely so it’s dark at night. Now, his color… it’s not like in the original picture of him being all white. Is that the same fish, or is he different that what was suppose to be sent to me?

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Hard to tell if it is the same fish as he currently has these fin issues and we can‘t see him flaring.

Color wise I wouldn‘t doubt - they often become a more pinkish shimmer depending on their genetic make-up. I think, real Platinums are rather rare (very thick opaque, milky appearance with no hues of pastel colors).
I‘m quite sure @indjo could better explain to you or correct me on that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to tell if it is the same fish as he currently has these fin issues and we can‘t see him flaring.

Color wise I wouldn‘t doubt - they often become a more pinkish shimmer depending on their genetic make-up. I think, real Platinums are rather rare (very thick opaque, milky appearance with no hues of pastel colors).
I‘m quite sure @indjo could better explain to you or correct me on that!
Thank you! I’ll keep you posted in the next couple weeks on how his fins are looking. Hopefully now that he’s in a safe, healthier environment his fins will grow back. I appreciate your help so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts