Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gallons (just moved him into a 1 gallon - he's floating in it now)
What temperature is your tank? my thermometer is at 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes but the current is too strong in the Chi... working on some kind of ingenious baffle. No filter in the 1 gallon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Will feed pellets and frozen brine shrimp... he's not eating yet (just got him last night)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Will feed 2x daily, fasting on Saturdays. He's not eating yet though.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Yes, see below

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His water was way too cold today (new heater - still working out the kinks) and he got a little paler.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Just got him last night. He was super flaring in the store, then he was obviously stressed in his new 5 gallon tank (fast breathing). He seemed to calm down overnight, but then his temperature plummeted and he clamped his fins and stopped moving around. Got his temperature back up. He swam into his little pagoda and didn't come out for *hours*. Got him into his cup, and he swims to the surface, breathes, swims around for a second, then gently sinks to the floor of his cup. He's floating in a half-filled one gallon tank now. I'm wondering if the big space and the strong current, coupled with the temperature fluctuation may have just stressed him out?

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young. He's tiny tiny.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
He suffered the cold shock and probably some other shock when you first moved him.. how did you acclimate?

for now all you can do it wait and hope he recovers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ffffraaaaaaaaaaack. Thanks callistra. That's what I was afraid of. I asked my husband to watch the new heater and thermometer today while he was home. He forgot and the tank PLUMMETED. Poor fish. Hope he makes it. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He perked up a bit in the cup, mostly staying near the surface, so I released him into the 1gallon. I left the tank light on and left him alone for an hour or so. Just checked in on him and he's swimming around now, looking a bit less clamped. I think (hope) he's through the worst of it. Learned a valuable lesson: do not leave husband in charge of fish. :twisted:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!

Little Ivan looks great now and is eating like a champ! Thank you for your help, callistra. We'll keep him in the 1-gallon for another week or two, until the cycle in his five-gallon tank is complete. He seems happy though, and that's definitely good. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
He's gorgeous! I'm glad he's okay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Leeniex, I had to go out of town for the weekend, so I texted him reminders to do the water changes. Then when I called home at night to say hi, I made sure to ask him about the fish every night. Fish survived the ordeal! Haha.

@EmilyN, thanks! I happen to think he's beautiful. He's colored up nicely, now that he's away from the LPS and is no longer in danger of freezing to death.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm.. maybe he's just weird??

So Fish Stick seemed completely recovered, but I've been keeping him in his 1-gallon tank until his 5-gallon is completely cycled.

Last night, I noticed he's mainly only using one pectoral fin when he swims around. He doesn't seem to have any mobility problems... he's always moving around; but he uses only one of his pectorals about 75-80% of the time.

Then I noticed he's got his ventrals close to his body and there may or may not be a light brown patch going from one pec, around the belly and back to the other pec. I can't get a pic of it, and it's very hard to tell if I'm actually seeing this or just being paranoid.

He's eating great (except he eyes brine shrimp and blood worms with extreme suspicion - he'll only eat pellets!) and swimming around just fine. No lurking at the bottom of his tank nor floating at the top. And he HATES being cupped for daily water changes. He wants out of that thing asap.

So is he just a little weird? Or is there something wrong with him?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
hating being cupped is quite normal, most of mine clamp and pale when I cup them.

As for only liking pellets... I have a boy like that, but I suspect it's caused by a belly full of parasites in his case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.