Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to fish keeping and to bettas untill I fell in love with this betta who I named Flint.

When I got him he had a black head that moved to a blue body that went to a red tail but a black tip. Over the first few weeks he remained bright. However about a week to two ago I noticed his tail was going clear very fast.

First photo I took 28th January 2020 just a week before I noticed colour change.

Second photo I took the other day (5th February 2020) he has grown a lot in size since I got him.

3rd photo is day I got him (12th January 2020) I don't know if you can tell but he has like doubled in size especially in his tail. Which is better seen where he flares but no photo of that sorry.

I do very regular water tests. My ammonia has been between 0.1 to max 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0.

I have discovered I was way over feeding him so have dropped that down to normal feed amount now.

I was also really struggling with my water temperature due to summer heat at the moment and spent probably close to 2 weeks trying to figure out how to cool it which I have just achieved 2 days OK with a more more wholed lid and small fan onto water. My tank which is 27litres (7.1 gallons) temperature was ranging from 27 degrees celcius (80.6 degrees fahrenheit) in the morning to 29 degrees celsius (84.2 degrees fahrenheit) when I got home from work. It now stays between 26 and 27 degrees celsius which I'm a lot happier with.

Flint is very active and always keen on food. He will flare at what I can only assume is his own reflection sometimes. He loves swimming amongst the live plants I have in there. But he's pretty much lost all his red from his tail.

Does anyone have any ideas. Is he stressed? Did I over feed him? Was the hot temperature getting to him? Is he sick? Is it due to growth? I don't just don't know and I don't want to loss him.

I have also done two 20% water changes since I've had him in the tank.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated please and thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on contracting "the betta bug"!

Based on what I can see the paleness to his colors is most likely from stress, and I wouldn't be surprised if he needs another few days to recover from the swinging temperatures.

Another major reason he might be stressed is because he's in a tank that is starting to go through the nitrogen cycle. Here's a sticky we have on cycling: https://www.bettafish.com/30-betta-fish-care/507585-cycling-two-sentence-tutorial.html

Ideally you would add a couple drops per gallon of Seachem Prime, a water conditioner that also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite, every day until your test kits are showing 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and a low level of nitrates. If you do that, then you can change his water on a regular weekly schedule- I always recommend 25% of the water per week for most tanks- and not have to worry about the water quality inbetween changes. Otherwise, you'd need to change out water based on what your test kits are showing you. A bottled bacteria product like Tetra SafeStart or Seachem Stability can also jump-start your cycle, making the whole process much faster.

It's also possible that he's feeling exposed with how you have his tank set up. I see that you have a good number of plants, but they look like they're mostly pushed against the back wall? While they look good there, it leaves a lot of open space in the front of his tank- bettas like having a lot of plants that they can swim through, as you've noticed, and too much open space can make them feel exposed.

And of course, he might have lost his colors because he's actually starting to marble- which means his color will keep changing to something completely new. Unless you know the genetics of the fish there's no way to be sure if he has the marble gene or not, and even then it crops up seemingly at random sometimes. I don't think it's super likely in your case, since there's other sources of stress in his life that could cause paleness, but it's something to keep track of in case you come home to a betta of a completely different color one day. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thank you so much for your reply. I do use both prime and stability as believe they are great products. I put the plants at back cause thought he would like open swimming space too but I have now moved them and actually prefer this look as well 🙂 not any change in him yet but hopefully he will be happier now with finally better controlled 25 to 26 degree temperature, more hiding areas and not being over feed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
Got a slightly better picture of him so decided to share.
Going by those last two pictures it looks like he's marbling. Some betta have what in laymans terms is referred to the marble gene. It causes them to change color over time, some will change color throughout their life, others will only change once.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Seeing the new pics, his red isn't just faded- it's gone! So I stand corrected and agree with Rainbo, I think he's most likely marbling. The cool thing about the marbling process is there's no way to predict it, so he could end up going back to his original colors or changing to something totally new.

It doesn't hurt the betta or stress them out at all, so there's no need for you to worry. Just take lots of pics so you can keep track of his changes! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,819 Posts
LOL, I forgot to say last night that his body may also change, so if it does don't panic! So long as he's active, and eating well, I'm about 99% certain that he's marbling, and there's no telling how he may turn out. I had one that had a pale face, white body with one or two dark spots, and cellophane (clear) fins. He started changing and by the time he finished he was black with some red highlights in his fins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts