Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So, a friend gave me a betta as a gift in a small bowl and she had him for a few months but only used spring water! Now, of course, I am getting him a 2.5gallon tank tomorrow...and need to know if I have to keep using the spring water or can I switch to tap with the proper drops added? If I can indeed switch to tap water ...how do I do so safely? I heard you have to switch over a 4 wk period??!! Is that true?

Thanks all!

T
Momma to Tiberius and Raphael :)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You can change to tap water with water conditioner (though water conditioner should be used no matter what). When you get the 2.5g, fill it with the tap water, put in the proper amount of water conditioner, then float your boy in his cup in the tank until the temperatures match, then slowly take out water from the cup and add water from the tank into the cup (like a little at a time) to acclimate him to the new water chemistry.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
spring water and tap water are al little more different than that, as they'll have different phs and hardnesses, you should start him off in 90% spring water then 75, 50, 25, 10, 0 (with each water change acclimating like that during water changes)
Spring water is $1 per gallon at most grocery stores, and since your tank is small it shouldn't cost you more than $6-7 to do this. If you acclimate too quickly your betta will most likely to into shock

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Spring water and tapwater will indeed have different pH and hardness. But by following BettaStarter's suggestions for "acclimating" your fish, you can safely get him into a new tank with tapwater in just a few hours.

Be sure to dose his water with Prime water conditioner @ 2-drops/gal every day until you get your tank cycled.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Whoever told you 4 weeks is crackers. Bottled water is nowhere near as regulated as municipally supplied tap water, you've probably introduced hardness & pH variations without knowing it, regardless the fish is doing well.

You can drip acclimate to your tap water, this should take about 3 hours. Marine folks do this, I've done this with imported Rio ***** fish. Hardish higher pH Chicago tap is nowhere near the softer low pH water found in most of the Amazon, fish did fine. Get a length of air line, tie a loose knot in it to reduce flow, adjust the knot as needed. Put the fish in a smaller container with the water it's used to. Start a siphon with the air line, adding the new water to the container. What you're aiming for is doubling the water volume every hour, for 3 hours, adjust the knot or the fish's container level to allow for this. After 3 hours the fish is in 87.5% new water, and is generally good to go.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
+1 to Tolak, I use Drip Acclimation on everything regardless just because it's so much easier; you basically set it and forget it--though, don't actually forget because you don't want water running over lol, but I find it's generally less stressful and easier for the keeper to do it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the info! I'm feeling much better about getting him in his new environment with as little stress as possible! Now I just have to figure out which heater to get!

T

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
For something cheap and that will actually work, I like Hydor Theo's from here. Good for 5 gallons and under usually and it's adjustable! Which means, if your Betta get's Ich, you can just crank the heat up to 86-88 and be done with it instead of using meds on him! Much less stressful in the end for him ^_^

But whatever you get, make sure it's adjustable. Pre-Set heaters are just a waste of cash and annoying to work with since you can't change the setting if you want it a little lower or a little hotter. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks, but even with that Hydor Theo; it's practically cheaper than half the pre-set ones lol!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent! Thanks Lilnaugrim!

·
Registered
424 Posts
For something cheap and that will actually work, I like Hydor Theo's from here. Good for 5 gallons and under usually and it's adjustable! Which means, if your Betta get's Ich, you can just crank the heat up to 86-88 and be done with it instead of using meds on him! Much less stressful in the end for him ^_^

But whatever you get, make sure it's adjustable. Pre-Set heaters are just a waste of cash and annoying to work with since you can't change the setting if you want it a little lower or a little hotter. It's worth it to spend a few extra bucks, but even with that Hydor Theo; it's practically cheaper than half the pre-set ones lol!
Lil - what size would you recommend for a Fluval Spec III with a total water volume of 3.65 gallons? I should really change my non-adjustables out for these you recommended.

I have 25w Nat Geo's in each of the Fluval's now and they hold steady at 78.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
For roughly 3.5 gallons you can do the 25Watt if you like, the 50W could be used as well, you just have to set it lower is all but the 25 watt would do it. I've used the 25W in up to 6 gallons before but over that you need a 50 W :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, my Tiberius is in his new tank. I ended up going with the Marineland Crescent 3. It was the same price as a 2.5g, so I figured ...give my guy more room!
The aquarium is great but the Whisper filter is huge:shock:!! I figured I would get the Whisper3i eventually. It's pretty silly that they put this huge filter in this 3g tank. The filter is really quiet though so that is awesome.
Tiberius seems to really like it ....he explored for quit a while....oh and I did the drip method to get him acclimated to the tap water with added prime.

Now to get a heater and some live anacharis! I feel like his tank looks so bare right now!
Are there any good places online to buy anacharis/elodea?

!
T

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually ...if there is a better small filter with a low flow option out there, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts!

T

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a TOM Aquarium mini Internal Filter:

http://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-Adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8

I think some people have mixed reviews but I use it in my 5 gal and it works perfectly. Super easy to take apart if you need to clean it, adjustable flow, and the spray bar helps to reduce the current. Just takes a bit of time to position the spray bar so that the current is hitting the tank wall.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
That Whisper looks big in there because it has a large filter media (sponge, insert, whatever) for an internal filter. This large volume is nice for growing a large cycling bacteria colony. If it's quiet enough for you and doesn't blow your fish around, then keep it.

The Whisper 3i is not a good filter. It's poorly designed sponge filter which does not filter properly. Nor does it have as much volume as the one you have.

The Tom's is a nice internal, but like most internals (your Whisper excepted) is has a small media.

Azoo Palm is used and recommended a lot around here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
loves new tank but ich?!

Hallyx ...good to know! Thanks for the info.
The filter is really quiet ... and he seems really interested in it...swimming under it ...etc. I did notice last night that he started acting a little different. He started darting up and down in his tank. He doesn't do it all the time ... but fairly frequently. I just looked at him with a flashlight and did notice a small white patch at the base of his fin! I am thinking it is ich ..... could he have transferred it from his old mini tank to his big one? I just put him in it less than two days ago!

hmmmmm....I feel like he is gonna knock himself out with all the swimming up and down.

T

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ich would be a bunch of white dots, like salt grains i believe, all over his body. Can you get pictures of what the patch looks like?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a pic of him but it doesn't look like much of anything. In fact, it looks like it might be gone this morning. On a side note, I bought him a silk plant yesterday, and he loves it. Overnight he had made a big, thick, bubblenest over one of the leaves! I'm going to keep an eye on the spot...see if anything changes. The guy at the aquarium store said it didn't look like ich or any of the other common sicknesses at all. He thought it might be a little injury that is healing.

T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.