Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I recently got a new betta (exactly a week ago) and I'm worried about his behavior. Any idea are much appreciated!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Several plants (if this counts) -- Anubias, Anacharis, bamboo, Asian waterfern, mopani wood with Eco Complete substrate

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? I don't think so?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, either one large flake or a couple small ones

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Just bought him so only one water change so far
What percentage of water did you change? 10%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out
What additives do you use? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: .5 -- the water that comes directly out of the tap reads this as well, so water changes don't help decrease this number
Nitrite: 10 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 150 ppm
Alkalinity (KH):80 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He was lethargic when I first brought him home and had extremely aggressive moments with his reflection. It wasn't until about five days ago that his fins were noticeably clamped, and about three days ago that they were severely clamped.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are now severely clamped and there's black around his gills -- not sure if this is normal or ammonia burns either from my tank or the cup that he was kept in at the store
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He no longer has his aggressive moments, but rests at the bottom of the tank and comes up to the top for air every so often
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I've been thinking it was just environment change related stress, so doubling the dose of Stress Coat to 10 mL every other day
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? N/A -- just bought him
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? One week, bought from PetCo

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
HI! You have a pretty betta there! First off, I would like to say bettas sleep 70% of their day, and from coming home from the petstore, he might still be adjusting, sometimes it can take them up to 4 weeks to fully adjust to their new home. I use the same food as you, and I can tell you it's a color enhancer, so clearly the color enhancing is working, (the black starting to form around the gills) that's just his coloration still coming out after being fed healthy stuff. Now onto the fin clamps, this can be a sign of many things, stress, catching and illness, or something has been bothering him. I would keep a very close eye on him, like hawk. If you see anything else, notify us, give it 1-2 days. If it doesn't clear up, notify us. however for the time being now, DO YOUR RESEARCH. You always need to be prepared for a time like this, look up all the betta diseases, does his behavior match any of the illnesses? otherwise, just keep an eagle's eye on him. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What additives do you use? API Stress Coat
I am not a fan of API stress coat, This is not a good substance to be adding to an aquarium with fish, regardless of what API may say. It contains aloe vera, and this substance affects the fish's gills, literally gumming them up, and can lead to death.

Ammonia: .5 -- the water that comes directly out of the tap reads this as well, so water changes don't help decrease this number
Nitrite: 10 ppm
You need to get a bottle of Seachem Prime. The standard dose of Prime (5mL per 50 gallons of water or 2 drops per 1 gallon of water) will detoxify up to 1ppm ammonia.

It is completely safe to do a double dose of Prime in order to detoxify higher levels of ammonia. In fact, in emergency situations, up to 5 times the recommended amount of Prime is safe.

I would suggest a 50% water change and add 2 drops per gallon of Prime, In total add 20 drops to the 10 gallon, Then test again tomorrow and change water till nitrite is zero.

The API test kit cant tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium

Is this your tap PH or tank PH? I ask this because ammonia is converted to ammonium at low PH.

To get a true reading of free ammonia in your tank I suggest a Seachem. Ammonia Alert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@NickAu: Would you recommend BettaFix or aquarium salt rather than StressCoat? I have both of those on hand. The pH is of the tank.

Do you think that a .5 ppm reading of ammonia/ammonium could be the cause of the clamped fins or do you think that is just going to be problem down the road? I just ask because I had a betta who did great with this water until a fungal infection came up. Thanks!

@bumblebleee45 Thanks! I'm fairly familiar with betta diseases, it was just because he's not displaying any other symptoms that I couldn't pinpoint what the underlying issue would be. But thanks for your info!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
@NickAu: Would you recommend BettaFix or aquarium salt rather than StressCoat?
I do not use Bettafix, Salt is a good medication but I do not add it to my tanks. only for hospital tank.

Do you think that a .5 ppm reading of ammonia/ammonium
I suspect thats a reading for ammonium.

I think Nitrite: 10 ppm is more of a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts