Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't expecting to get a new betta so soon after my old boy passed but when I was at the store I saw him and another boy (that I didnt get) and fell in love. Im looking for names and your opinions on his tail type and overall health. He is really small so im guessing that hes pretty young, and was labeled as a half moon. This is what the other boy looked like but he had longer fins.

32cad5e579e769dfd137d9257b0fc3a5.jpg

IMG-2022.JPG
IMG-2020.JPG
IMG-2018.JPG
This is him

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
Lovely boy!.

Without a flaring shot it is hard to tell whether he is a Delta Tail (DeT) or Over Halfmoon (OHM).

If you bought him today he will probably color up some more. Right now I would call him a pastel bi-color. If he gains the reddish color in his dorsal he would be a Butterfly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a little concern, nothing serious. His dorsal fin looks a little ragged its been like that since I got him so its not from me, do you think it could be fin biting, maybe from the stress of the store?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I just realised that I forgot to add the pics that I took oops😂
IMG-2029.JPG
IMG-2032.JPG

He moves so much its hard to get a good photo.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
He's lovely! Bettas are usually sold around six months but can be younger, so he probably does have some growing still to do. I hope you get to enjoy his company for a long time. :)

That looks like just some natural reduced webbing to me, not damage! Fin-biting damage is usually more random, bettas don't often take bites perfectly in-between the rays.

It's also possible that his fins are still growing, and the rays of his dorsal are growing faster than the webbing- if that's the case, they'll even out in length as he fills in more. But based on the appearance if his other fins that's probably less likely.

To determine if he's a "true" Halfmoon, you'll need to see him flare. If his tail makes a perfect "D" shape as it spreads apart then he's Halfmoon! If the fin spreads less than that he is a Delta, and more than that makes him an Over-Halfmoon. These tail-types are all in the same "family" since the only difference is the degree of spread, which is why they can be so hard to tell apart.

Personally, I tend to just call any of my bettas who are in that category HM's, since I am not showing or breeding them so it doesn't really matter to me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
From your photos, he has reduced webbing. I've never had one with reduced webbing "fill" in but I guess it's possible. The last one I had I named "Spike." :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im stuck between two names Cotton candy (cotton for short), and winter because of his light blue and white.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided on Winter. His personality has started coming out and hes so active, whenever he sees me he races to say hi and see if I have food. 😂

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have another questions about him, hes colored up a lot more and has some fin tears (I think). Im doing a water change today and rearranging his tank a little bit so I will try and snap a picture.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts