Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,869 Posts
What I can see looks like reduced webbing; note his anal fin in the last photo. If you could get a shot of his caudal that clear it would be easier.

Betta get fin tears from everyday living. Mine are all in tanks with nothing but plants and yet they still have minor tears. As long as we do weekly maintenance to keep their water clean there should not be any issues.

·
Super Moderator
19,869 Posts
Wow ive never seen a betta with that colour hes so pretty!!
Thank you. He was a special Betta.

Winter has both fin tears and web reduction. Is there anything in his tank on which he could have caught his fins? You can check decor using panty hose or fine mesh cloth.

The most important thing is to prevent infection. This is accomplished by keeping his water clean with one 25%-50% water changes and vacuums per week. You could also add either IAL or plain Rooibos tea for their antifungal and antibacterial properties.

Winter is turning out to be quite lovely. You made a great choice!

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is one thing that I was a little bit concerned for, he has a small cave thing in his tank that had a little bit of sharp edges on the inside, ive never seen him use it since I put the plants in so I assumed it would be ok. I will take it out and if it keeps happening I will go through everything in his tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know that everything on his dorsal fin is web reductions, but other than that I dont know.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hes just a petstore betta but I got him from a store that only sells bettas and keeps then in ok sized containers. They get their bettas from specific breeders. He came from a store called Petvalue. Thankyou he is really pretty!

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After about a month I noticed that the tears weren't getting better and there even were some more. I think I nailed it down to what was tear them though, on his filter there was some craft mesh to slow the flow and there were some sharp pieces. I took the craft mesh off since hes strong enough to fight and play in the current now. His new favorite thing to do is stare at me when ever i come in the room, its his way of begging for food its so cute!

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The tears on his fins have gotten way worse and he has chunks missing now I took the cave decoration straight out and I hope that was the cause. Is it possible that he is biting his fins?

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Do you think it could be something im doing wrong? He had gorgeous fins when I got him and then everything went downhill.:(

·
Super Moderator
19,869 Posts
Unfortunately, we don't really know why they bite their fins. Sometimes after they damage their fins they start biting. Whatever the reason I'm sure it's nothing you are doing.

FWIW, some theories are: Stress, bored, tank too open, not enough plants, too many plants, to reduce weight so they can swim better.

I only buy online and sometimes they arrive with bitten fins. I use IAL or Rooibos and SeaChem StressGuard and hope for the best. Sometimes they never bite again and sometimes they let their fins grow out and start all over again.

Can you post a photo of his tank? Is it open or bright?

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have API stress coat that ive been adding every week or so, I dont know if thats the same thing or not. Today after I figured out that he was biting I watched him for a while and noticed that when he went up against the heater his fins were in a place where he could see them and thats when he would chase them. I will post some pictures in a minute.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts