Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I don’t know what to say about the fin biting but your tank looks great! You’ve got lots of tall plants it looks thick in there and wonderful. He has his resting places and shade so maybe he is just bored? Perhaps you could take a plant out and rearrange the tank a little so it’s just a bit different? Give him a reason to re explore his tank and occupy him so he doesn’t think about his fins? I’m really just throwing stuff out there I haven’t had a betta fin bite yet but I hope you find something that helps 💜

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
If you had a square tank I’d tell you to turn the heater on his side so it was horizontal instead, that way he would have to swim around if differently and just maybe he won’t see his tail fin in that position lol but with your pillar shaped tank that’s a moot point 🤔 I can’t think of any way to block the heater off from him. I will brainstorm about it though. If I think of anything I’ll let cha know.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks for the advice! Whenever I do big water changes where I take the decor out I rearrange it slightly. I think I may know what is causing it though, I recently took the filter baffle off and thats around the time he started biting, I hope that once he adjusts to that he will be fine.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Ah! You’re probably right. You know Winter’s quirks better than anyone. I had a similar situation with removed decor. (Fin damage) It turned out fine too 👍🏻

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a delta tail a one time from a pet store that kept their bettas in tiny little bowls. I woke up the next morning after he spent a night in his new 5 gallon tank and he had completely chewed off his whole tail but was swimming around like the happiest fish ever. I didn't ever see his tail again but he lived until old age took him so I think he was happier without his tail really.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Today was water change day, I was planning on snapping some more pics when I was doing his tank but the filter on my ten gallon quit out and I spent awhile trying to figure that out that I never got around to it. Its still not working 😢

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update! His fins are doing wonderful and hes let them grow back a little bit with the odd bite. Im going to get him the 5.5 gallon ive been want on tuesday or wednesday, its not going to be a planted tank thought I may add a few plants as I go along. Sadly I wont be able to post pictures for a little while (Something wonky is going on with my email) but as soon as I can I will post all the pics of his progress!

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I just got his new tank today! It was the last one im going to do a leak test overnight. I bought about 65 dollars of new (Silk) plants and a big rock hide, I hope he likes it🤞

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I think tomorrow I will get some from a local pond and keep in a container, I dont want to put it in my tank without a second opinion.

When I put him in his new tank he just went around doing his little version of a flare, lol. Hes getting kind of chunky im going to fast him for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Its been awhile since I updated about his fins so I thought I would show his progress.

July 24:
IMG-2174 (1).JPG

Today:
IMG-2293.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Also here is his new tank (a 5.5 gallon) its been rearranged a bit and a betta log was added since I took this pic.
62015195193--DA27D8DD-058C-448C-998C-C35911D30504 (2).JPG

And some pics of his new bubble nests🥰
IMG-2296.JPG
IMG-2295.JPG

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Wow! It looks fantastic! Love the new tank set up. Although your other tank was pretty cool too! His tail looks great! He even got his red coloring back 💜

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I was using his old tank for a fry that I have until the fry is big enough to go in my ten gallon, but yesterday I realized it had a big crack in the back (It wasnt leaking yet but I dont want to risk it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
It looks great, man. And your betta is awesome. That color scheme is a really rare find. I've only seen a handful at most and was lucky enough to have one myself. I simply called him 'The Patriot.'

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Honestly I think it was the filter in his old tank. His new tank has a waterfall filter and I think that helped a lot, hes even started flaring at fish kept in a temporary tank beside his. Im going to try and get my hands on one of those floating betta mirrors to see if I can get some flaring pics!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts