Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,332 Posts
He is quite lovely. Those colors are wondrous. However, I do not see the thickness in scales that makes a Betta a Dragon nor is he a bi-color.

A Dragon Scale Betta, as defined by those who developed them, is a bi-colored Betta with thick, opaque white scales. In recent times, that definition has been expanded to include any bi-color with thick scales. Key is the thick scales.

Sadly, I see so many Betta listed on eBay and FaceBook that are mislabeled. Many deem any metallic or any Betta with iridescent, white scales a Dragon. I like to believe it's from ignorance and not intentionally deceptive to make more $$. :(

Whatever he is by definition, he is gorgeous by sight!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information! He was listed as just a beautiful candy betta but in the description it said something about dragon scales but maybe the breeder was talking about the genetics lines of their fish as there was also a warning about the marble gene but the seller doesn’t think this particular betta had it, so I could have misread something. So I apologize I don’t want to mislead anyone. I’m not super into the genetics, I just am addicted to gorgeous bettas!

·
Super Moderator
18,332 Posts
You are not misleading anyone; you are helping educate them!

The average size of a Giant is around 4" body-only (from nose to base of caudal fins). Even though the IBC defines Giants as 2.5" BO/Males and 2.0"/Females, breeders of Giants, where I've seen it mentioned, call anything under 2.75" Half-Giant/King.

I'm being a real Debbie Downer tonight, aren't I? Ugh! BUT....like you, I buy what appeals to me and have often purchased mislabeled fish. Betta doesn't care, right? ;)

If you want to learn about Betta colors/conformation or just educate yourself, d
1585274660766.png
ownload the International Betta Congress Exhibition Standards on the page linked below. I've probably read and re-read so many times that if it had been a book I would need another! Skip the top and go straight to standards.

Photo used by permission of IBC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts