Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 55 gallon tank and am in the processes of cycling it.I would like to get some fish that will work well with a Betta. Does anyone have some examples of a stocking list. Obviously my main concern is happiness and health of all the fish. I am doing fake plants.This is what my tank currently looks like if there also some suggestions on accessories. I think I need more foliage but not sure. Any help with stocking list and recommendations for accessories would be greatly appreciated

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,572 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have any ideas of the fish you might like? My rule is to never put fish larger than the Betta in the same aquarium so when I had a 55 it was filled with Nano fish.

You'll need a lot more cover to break up lines of sight and chase from the Betta and toward him. If you're willing to try live, I would suggest anchoring some live stem plants along the back of the tank. Let them flow over the surface to form shade. You could try one to see how it goes. I like Hornwort but as it doesn't have viable roots it will shed and die if you try to plant.

I envy you the fun you are going to have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I’m thinking neon and glow light tetra. I’m a beginner and honestly don’t know how to deal with live plants. Maybe when I get more experienced

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,572 Posts
By line of sight I mean no straight shots at either the Betta or the other fish. You can zig-zag the plants. I'd look for taller ones. I bought https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-B...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589101797017&psc=1 . It is is very soft. If you scroll down there are photos.

The Begondis plants are nice Amazon.com : silk aquarium plants

If you have enough of them, Neons aren't as nippy. Any shoaling variety need a minimum of six but 12 or more with a predator is best. When I had 20 Neons in my tank there was no nipping. Once the number was down to 10 or so the damage to my Betta's fins started occurring.

These are the fish I like in my Betta-based community tanks:

Ember Tetra
Chili Rasbora
Any Cory variety
Celestial Pearl Danio
Lambchop Rasbora
Endler's Livebearers

Here is a site where you can see tons of different varieties Rasboras, Danios, and Minnows. When you decide what you might like send a list and we can tell you if they will work with Betta. He has a Nano Fish section but some are not suitable to live with Betta.

Have fun! Wish I could have another 55; a 20 long is about all for which I have room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the site it was extremely helpful. This is what im thinking, thoughts and recommendations please:
1 Betta M or 2 F, 6 pygmy cory catfish, 9 glowlight rasbora, 3 male yellow tiger endler, 9 cardinal tetra, 6 peacock gudgeon, and 2 black devil spike snails.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,572 Posts
Stocking sounds good but I'd stick with one male. If you have females you need a sorority of at least five. IMO, sororities are not for beginners as they are volatile environments and stressful.

The Pygmy Cory at not bottom feeders; they are more mid-tank. So I'd suggest you add Habrosus or another bottom-feeding Cory.

They only thing that drives me nuts about Aquatic Arts is they claim three is enough for a shoal. Rachel O'Leary, this country's leading expert on Nano fish, says no fewer than six but 10+ is best. She can be found at Msjinkzd on YouTube or www.msjinkzd.com.

I would up the Endler's, Rasbora, Cardinals and Cory to at least 10. I only buy my fish online so find SeaChem Stability essential. It helps keep the nitrifying bacteria from being overwhelmed by the added bioload. It also helps jump-start fish-in cycling.

Are you doing a fishless cycle? And, you do mean "cycle" and not just letting it run, correct?

And have a back-up ready should your Betta not do well in a community. I'd get the plants before I got the fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the advice. I’ve been doing a fishless cycle for one week and plan on doing it for another week. I don’t know what you mean by just letting it run? I have no fish and filter running, and testing water accordingly, is there something I’m missing?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,572 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts