Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got her at Petsmart today! I also purchased her a 2 quart plastic goldfish bowl.

Oh, and something insanely stupid I did... :oops::oops: After I plopped her in the tank; about 20 minutes later I remembered that I forgot to add water conditioner! I just added it. Will she be okay?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
If she doesn't look Sick, she'll be fine. Oh, and are you planning to Upgrade your Bowl? That would be ALOT of work to do if it's 1/2 Gallon.

·
Registered
610 Posts
+1 to above
2 quarts is a lot of upkeep. You need to be doing water changes everyday for a tank that small. Def think about getting something bigger. I know they have gal+ bowls. I almost bought this one for myself. But there are cheaper alternatives of course. A 2.5 gal tank is only $15.

If she's acting fine then I wouldn't worry about it. They are hardy fish. Just don't forget in the future! :)

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Don't forget a heater.. 78 - 82 degrees to thrive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No. The water should be around 80F. Its not warm enough to spread through the tank to warm the water of another tank. To get the water warm enough to do that, you'll end up with Betta soup.

You're better off getting her a heater to keep the temperature consistent.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
they have 10$ heaters all walmart that turn off when it gets too warm and on when its too cool. i have one in my 2.5 bcuz when it gets hot it turns off, so they ont cook you know ? it says its for a 5-15 gallon, but i have had to use it in a half gallon once...didn't want to but i had no alternatives..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh please upgrade this. I bought a tiny bowl with my first betta, but then I googled betta care that night, and said "Ok, this tiny bowl [email protected] sucks, we're upgrading pronto!"

I wouldn't put a betta in anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon. I just bought one for a back-up temporary or hospital tank. It was $15 and it's the glass rectangular shaped one, so it's a good shape for a betta and you could fit some plants or caves on the bottom. Seriously it does not take up much room at all. . I would recommend it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Er, do lots of research before breeding. Don't start breeding next month without lots and lots of prep. :)
Why do people who aren't educated in animal husbandry or have some special insight or exotic stock breed bettas? I mean, with cats we fixed them because there are too many cats without homes. Why would you breed bettas if you're just going to have hundreds of Petco quality baby bettas no one wants with tons of them already in stores? I'm just wondering- I mean, if I bought a betta from a breeder, I'd go all in and get a beautiful one from Thailand, not some betta I could get across the street at Petco for a few dollars and pay shipping and all that jazz. And I wouldn't be so arrogant as to think I should breed my bettas and make more creatures that need homes and won't get them, then get on this sight and beg or con people to buy my average-quality-mutt-bettas. I'm kind of one or the other: cheap little betta near me . . or save up for a special occasion to get one from Thailand. I don't understand all the newbies to bettas who just want to start breeding : Why? Isn't this very irresponsible?

Did I misunderstand the situation here?

·
Registered
610 Posts
No, but then again people just need to do research before breeding. I personally don't breed, but I realize the work and research that need to go into them. And just because the female is flaring at the male, doesn't mean they should breed.

Make a thread on the breeding section when you can for help and advice if you do decide to breed. If done improperly you can end up with some hurt (even dead) fish. Because females can be just as aggressive as males. :) don't expect a profit out of your first spawn either.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't think I would ever breed unless I was making it my new career, and if so, I would do a ton of research and I would only breed really special bettas.

I did read about how to breed bettas a while ago. Pretty crazy process. I have no interest making more animals that may not have homes, I just want to adopt and spoil ones that are already born, the best way I can, anyway. It really seems like you could get in way over your head.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
And what to do with 200 baby bettas... sell 'em to Petco? :evil:

And that's potentially as many as 200 little jars of conditioned water (once they're out of the grow-out tank) that need changing daily for weeks on end, 200 tiny fish to feed and care for before they're big enough to feasibly rehome... and yes, selling betta in those amounts will likely be a nightmare unless you start out with truly spectacular fish that'll wow 'em on Aquabid.

(PS: as an owner of three much loved pet-quality bettas, I truly dislike the term 'mutt', it's insulting.. and besides, not all non-show quality bettas are poorly bred... ).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.