Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do new fish behave when you fist buy them?

My new fish yesterday was all happy in his new tank swimming around, and then at night he just moped around all night hiding in his cave and only coming out to breathe. Today he is just laying around barely moving. I can't think of any reason he would be sick, so I was just wondering if other people have this same type of behavior

·
Registered
210 Posts
Watch carefully for signs of illness, and be sure to have his tank the right temperature, and water clean. My dragonscale Apollo was like that, but warmed up again a few days later. Some fish are just more reserved, like people. Just be watching him closely until he begins to be more active again.

Do you have things for him to do? Plants to hide in or play with, things for him to explore or interact with? I sometimes put small toy figures up to the tank and "play" with them. It's helped a few of my shy rescues come out of their shells.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that makes me feel better since he is a dragon. Hopefully he is just like yours. He has clean water temperature 79 degrees. Yeah I have a few things in there. Soon I will have some nice live plants once they are done be quarintined. He still ate this morning which makes me feel comforted.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left him floating in the cup in the water for two hours. then slowly added some of the tank water to his tank and removed the old water from his cup. Did this about three times taking out about 2 tbs each time and adding 2 tbs of clean water.

I use tap water and I started using Prime (heard it was good). I also have Aqueon betta bowl plus on hand if I should switch to that?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Sounds like you acclimated ok. Prime should take care of anything.. 2 drops per gallon, yes?

What size tank does he have and what heater are you using? Does the temp change at all or is it always a steady 79, even at night?

ETA: You didn't put the new guy in the 2g that your last guy died in did you? Use the same stuff over? What, if anything, did you reuse and how did you sterilize?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems steady the heater has a a temperature adjustment thing so when it starts going down it turns on and keeps it steady. Its the Top Fin submersible heater. The tank is the same two gallon I had for Rufio. I cleaned it good though. For a week I had hot water in it then I used bleach to disinfect I cleaned it so many times after to make sure no bleach remained. Even after i thought it was okay I still rinsed it. I reused the tank and the cave. I disinfect the cave with bleach too but I got paranoid so I removed it today. The heater is new too.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is a picture. He has just been like this all day

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
So to disinfect with bleach you would do a 10% solution.. or in your case there are 32 cups in your bowl. So you would put 3-4 cups of bleach along with the rest water and soak at least 10 min before rinsing? Then you should be good on disinfecting.. the rocks are new too?

Cave wasn't good to bleach as it's porous and can trap the bleach then release it back into the water.. Just to be safe, I would do a good size water change now and add some extra prime to be safe. You can add up to 4 drops per gallon so in your case you can add up to 8 drops safely. 4 drops would be standard. See if this perks him up..

Just to be clear, he hasn't moved from that position all day except to eat?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay Should I do a 50% water change?

Yes the gravel is new too

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I'd go ahead and do the 50% change, yes.. that's the least I'd do. I might even cup him (float him in a solo cup in the tank for heat and slowly change out his water again up to 100%.) See if he doesn't perk up in the cup away from everything in the tank and fresh water.

Sometimes bettas can hide a bit when getting used to things but he doesn't look good in the above pic to me and if he doesn't move from that position all day.. something's up.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did the water change. He is just sank all the way to the bottom. Didnt even try to swim. Im afraid he won't be able to swim up to the top should I just cup him and leave him floating in the tank. Im afraid he is gonna die on me while im in class

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Was the tank already containing water when you were going to add the cave? It is possible that some bleach came out of the cave into that water.

He may also just be very stressed out.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know :( so sad he is just sitting at the bottom of the cup looking so helpless. I already lost one last night. And the thought of losing this one is killing me I fell in love with him instantly

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was the tank already containing water when you were going to add the cave? It is possible that some bleach came out of the cave into that water.

He may also just be very stressed out.
No I added the cave then the water. gosh I knew I shouldnt have used that cave :(

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
No I added the cave then the water. gosh I knew I shouldnt have used that cave :(
Well even if the cave was dripping a bit and slightly damp. I don't think it would have been enough bleach to cause too much of a problem. It should have disappeared when you added Prime. And even if there was some still left over your recent water change would of nearly removed all.
Have hopes, he may make it through the night and get better.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well even if the cave was dripping a bit and slightly damp. I don't think it would have been enough bleach to cause too much of a problem. It should have disappeared when you added Prime. And even if there was some still left over your recent water change would of nearly removed all.
Have hopes, he may make it through the night and get better.
Yeah I don't believe it could have been the bleach. I rinsed that stuff like no other with all the water I used I could have filled a pool. I don't know what it could be. Right now he is just floating in the cup. Should I leave him like that all night? It doesn't look like he has the energy to swim up to breath in the tank and my tank is pretty tall in height.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Yeah I don't believe it could have been the bleach. I rinsed that stuff like no other with all the water I used I could have filled a pool. I don't know what it could be. Right now he is just floating in the cup. Should I leave him like that all night? It doesn't look like he has the energy to swim up to breath in the tank and my tank is pretty tall in height.
I would leave him in the cup until he looks better.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is just chillin like this.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts