Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so here's the story. I just got two new bettas 2 days ago from a local pet store. My red veiltail is very hearty and boisterous so I'm not concerned about his health. My white crowntail is much more docile though, but I kind of think that's just his personality. He moves around and eats fine, but I've been monitoring his eyes for popeye. Seeing as I rescued him from a cup with about an inch of dirty water, I wouldn't be shocked if he was sick.
The thing is, I can't tell if his eyes are popeyed or not. They're both quite large, about the same size, and frankly I can't tell if they're sick or just googly. They are also very black and reflective, especially his right eye, which unlike the left one doesn't even have a ring around it. Any suggestions? I don't want to treat him for something he might not have, I just can't figure out if his eyes are sick or if he's just got really googly eyes.

As you can see, his left eye at least has a ring around it but his right eye is fully black.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
What I think is likely, is he has a marble trait, and the pigment on the one eye may eventually develop into a splotch of dark in that area.
They do seem to be sort of protruding, but I'd just keep watching and see if they are just his unique look. If it's popeye, it'll get worse, and then you'd look into treatment.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Indeed difficult to tell but likely he is healthy. Keep an eye on him when hes looking about- popeyed fish cant move their eyes and focus well if at all because the ocular muscles become stretched and immobile (if you stare at him long enough that eye will flick over and give you a good glare!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the opinions, I've been watching him and nothing seems to be getting any worse, and his eyes do seem to swivel around just fine like a chameleon's.

More opinions are welcome, but it seems as those I may have lucked out and just got a really cute googly eyed fish :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts