Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new betta, Horton, hasn't eaten for 3 days now. I fed him his first night home, he ate 2 pellets. I fed him again the next morning, he chewed them up and spit them out. Same thing happened again that night. I fasted them on Sunday, and have tried to feed them twice today(am & pm) and he checks out the pellets, but won't eat any.

He is also chasing his tail? I figured he'd bitten off most of his tail in his petstore cup, but he is still trying to bite it...

Housing
What size is your tank?
1.5 - 2 gal, plastic tub. (Hospital tank)
What temperature is your tank?
aprox. 76 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter?
No. Every other day water changes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.
Is your tank heated?
No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
API Betta Bits. Not the highest quality I know, but they are what I had, before I started learning more about feeding.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Monday thru Saturday. I just got him Friday though.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
TetraMin Betta Safe. Again, had it on hand from before I really started learning.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No I have not.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
No.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
The tail chasing is a new thing, but I've only had him 4 days...
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Saturday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No, not sure how to.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
6 months? I'm not sure how old pet store Betta's usually are, but he is not much larger then my female betta who I've had 1.5 years.

I feel like a bad fish mom. He was supposed to get a 10gal heated tank sunday, but I was under the weather and couldn't go get it for him. He'll have a heater tomorrow.

My other fish eats like its her last meal every time I feed her. I probably over feed her(4-6 pellets, 2-3x daily. Mostly 2x daily....sometimes I go a little over board when she gets all zippy when she sees me.). I'm just not used to a fish passing up a meal.

He also hangs around the bottom of his tank a lot? His tank is only about 6-7in deep, so maybe its normal?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not eating is a problem for many fish I their new homes, some don't eat for up to a week after being brought home. But it seems like your betta is a tail biter. This is caused by stress or boredom. Try adding some decorations like logs, caves, castles, bridges, plants, and pebbles. Give him time to adjust to his new home .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has a terra cotta pot(with the little hole sealed), a plastic plant, and a hammock. Once we get his 10gal he will have more to entertain him. I didn't want a whole lot in this tank to be cleaned every other day and while he was in QT, in case something happened to him.

So just give him time? And add things for him to do once he's in his big tank..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That sounds like a nice betta-home. If it was EMPTY empty, that would freak him out. Stress can trigger tail biting, and can keep a fish from eating.

I think time and clean water, and most importantly a good home will resolve both issues.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
A new fish not eating is totally normal. it took my new boy Perry about 3 weeks before he started to eat normally. The tank sounds like a nice home. Just keep feeding him the pellets. If you can try to get OO or NFS pellets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got them Omega One pellets today, going to try them at dinner time tonight. :)

I would have gotten heaters, but they didn't have one that would safely heat the 2 gal and then the 10 later on.
I also got thermometers at petsmart on sale, so I can for sure know tank temps!

Thanks for all your kind words and advice! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I went ahead and fed them 'dinner'(they will get one or two more pellets at bed time.).

Cindy Lou devoured 3 OO betta buffet pellets, and so did Horton!!!!

He swallowed his first one whole, then played with the second(spitting it out, picking it up, chewing, etc.), and then held the 3rd in his mouth til I walked away and then swallowed it too. But he ate all 3! Maybe this is the food he ate at the petstore and was used to?

These pellets are 2-3x larger then the API I was feeding, so I'm cutting them back to 2-3 at each feeding. Will this be enough? I was offering 6+/- of the API 2-3x daily.

Horton's unheated 2 gal is holding steady at 76 degrees(F), Cindy Lou's heated 1 gal is staying between 78-80 degrees(F).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - so sorry to triple-post, I just keep thinking of things...

Here is the difference between their foods. Cindy Lou(who I have had over a year) does not appear thin. But with me only feeding 6+/- pellets of the API 2-3x daily, I'm worried she may be going hungry?

Is 2 or 3 of the Omega One 2-3x daily going to be enough?
Should I fast them still?

ETA - sorry for the massive pic!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts