Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband fell for this pretty blue betta while we were picking up stuff for my son's new orange betta. (This is a trend for us, we always do two of everything). So we get the new guy home, set up his tank, adjust him to the water, pop him in, and boom, he pops right back up to the top. We notice after watching him in the water that he has a bloated belly. I put him in a smaller tank, with some epsom salt, let him sit in it for about 15 minutes, and then put him back in his big tank. 2 days and no real change. I read on here that I could give him frozen daphnia and that might help. I have dehydrated daphnia. Can I soak those and that would help? Or do I need to go out and get frozen? He mostly hangs out near the top, swimming around occasionally. He really gets annoyed when I do a partial water change on him and swims around like mad, so I know he's still able to swim. He's on day 2 of his fasting, so should I try daphnia today, or wait? and should I do additional ep salt baths? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I've been looking at pictures, and everyone shows swollen bellies at the front. Mine looks more like he is wearing a corset. He's big up front, skinny in the middle, and then bulges back near his back fins again. He's also starting to show just the hint of bulgy eyes. I have a half gallon little tank that I gave him an 30 minute ep salt bath (he seemed to like the little tank, but it is unheated so he's back in his big tank)
Should i put ep salt in his big tank? Or continue fasting? Or is it a bacterial thing and I need to get some meds for him? Or do I need to just chill and be patient? If it's a wait thing, I can do that, but if he needs something more, I want to make sure I get it.
He's not getting pinecone scales, he is still a nice iridescent, and he is pretty active when annoyed, but otherwise, he just lies at the top. He cannot go down without bobbing right back to the top!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? between 80-82F
Does your tank have a filter? it did, he hated it, have ordered a sponge one
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? not feeding yet
How often do you feed your betta fish? n/a

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've been doing about a 25% change daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Dunno, just got him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when we got him home
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Gave him an ep salt bath in separate tank, 1 20 minutes, 1 half an hour a day later
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea. I've had him about 2 days

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Can you get us a picture of his belly? The epsom salts were right on track but i do recommend you use frozen daphnia instead of dried, the preservatives in those tend to lead to bloating, even when soaked

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's pretty much impossible to get a decent pic of him. I did another salt water bath today, and finally it looks like the swelling is going down. He is still staying at the top, but he is able to stay vertical for much longer and not go immediately sideways. I'm hoping another day or two and he'll be able to swim down some more. My husband also said that when he does swim down he doesn't pop up as quickly as he did before. He shops definite interest if anything changes in or around his tank, so he's at least very observant. :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You are able to add epsom salts to his regular tank water without harming him. ES is extremely mild and good for the organ health- you may find it releives his stress if you choose to just add it to the tank rather than bathe

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I did add EP salt to his tank today with his water change. He is actually able to swim down to the bottom and hang out for a few minutes at a time now before floating back to the top (now it's more of a gradual float to the top instead of an instant bob back up). He freaked me out when I went looking for him today and he wasn't in his tank! Turns out, he was, he was just hiding at the bottom behind his rock wall and I'm used to looking for him at the top only! So LG is doing lots better! I'm hopeful another couple days and he'll be able to explore his whole tank at will. Also, on another note, I found out today that fish can give dirty looks. Who knew? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts