Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I rescued a betta fish from a local store. He was the only one active in his small cup and kept coming to greet me. Smaller than the rest of the bettas. Anyway, here I am with a fish in a cup. I used to have freshwater, then saltwater, but haven't done it in years. I got this fish a 10 gallon tank, planning on doing living plants. Big problem is that I know his new tank should be cycled, but I don't think that's going to happen. I bought everything to help condition the tank.
He is now in a one gallon plastic tank with some plants and moss balls until I can set up his new home.
I can't see keeping him in the one gallon as the water becomes cloudy quickly. Other than the conditioners, any suggestions as to what is best for him? Since I know very little about betta varieties, I have attached a picture of Henry.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and Henry. Wit a one gallon bowl you will be making 100% water changes daily. to keep the ammonia in check. You said above you are setting up a 10 gallon tank for him and putting in live plants. This is a great idea and I know he will love it.

As far as you setup for the 10 gallon goes, You can do a fish in cycle with this tank with no problems. I'm going to presume the tank has a filter and heater? Good then your on the home stretch. You will need the following to complete the setup. (and I know you already know this but it's good to go over it again.)

1. (1) Your 10 gallon tank. (have to have something to put the water in.) LOL
2. (1) adjustable 50 watt heater.
3. (1) filter that would filter 100 GPH
4. (1) Thermometer
5 Enough substrate (or sand) to fill the tank up to 2 inches for live plants.
6. Recommended SeaChem Prime or another water conditioner.
7. You might want to add Seachem Stability to help in the growth of Beneficial Bacteria.
8. Add one betta
You will need to do regular water changes about every 2 days of 25% and Dose each change with Prime.
Once toy start the process of cycling the tank Double dose the prime and Stability for the first day. then dose a single dose for days 2-8. Then stop using the Stability and only use the prime when changing water.
Even with your betta in the tank the tank will cycle in a few weeks.
You will need to test the water daily until the cycle finishes.
you will know when the cycle is finished when your water parameters are Ammonia 0 PPM Nitrite 0 PPM and Nitrate 0-20 PPM and these parameters must remain this way for at least a week.
The reason for testing daily is to help reduce the ammonia that will build up in the tank on a daily basis. In the weeks to come you may have readings of 0 0 0 but then the next day there is a spike and the levels seem off the chart. Not to worry, do a 25 % water change and test in 24 hours. The spikes are common and the only thing to do is a water change. be diligent and your betta will reward you with his beauty for years to come.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure, my first question is how the heck did I come home with a betta in a cup? Yep, no fish supplies, just a 1 gallon container, food and a fish in a cup. :)
Thanks for all the help. As soon as my supplies arrive I'll set up the tank and he'll be in.

·
Super Moderator
2,778 Posts
Sure, my first question is how the heck did I come home with a betta in a cup? Yep, no fish supplies, just a 1 gallon container, food and a fish in a cup. :)
Thanks for all the help. As soon as my supplies arrive I'll set up the tank and he'll be in.
Welcome to the sentiments felt by just about everyone here. I think almost everyone has gone into a store looking for (lets call it shoes) and walked out with a betta that caught our eye.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What a lovely lad!

Am delighted you have gone for a nice spacious tank and real plants for him.

Bettas love plants. Especially swimming under, over and through. They like floating surface plants that they can lounge about on, just under the surface (snoozing while waiting for the next meal), and plants they can wriggle through.

Sounds like you are going to give him a great home.

Reactions: RussellTheShihTzu

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you. I found that out. He really loves "playing" with the plants. Now if only I can figure out how to get him a full spectrum light to help the plants. Lots available if I want to leave the hood off (No thanks).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Depending on the plants you are going to put in and already have A full spectrum light may not be needed. Check out an in tank light MarineLand has called a hidden LED light. It fits up under the tank lip is fully water proof and along with your kit tank hood would be great for low light plants and also light up the tank.

Or if you want to change to a glass canopy Finnex lighting would be a great and reasonable choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts