·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I got a betta Fish for Christmas and I have a few questions

1. How much should i feed my fish his betta food or how often
2. is it normal for him float at the bottom of the tank
3. Do they like light i was wondering if i should get him a little light for his tank
4. he seems to be very hyper is that normal he has a small marina tank
5. is it normal to swim at the bottom of the tank
6. should i get more gravel for the tank?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Congrats on your fish!

1. What kind of food do you have now? You should feed once per day, enough to make his tummy look a little rounded without looking really big. And you should feed a good quality pellet without a lot of fillers - something like Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets.

2. That can be normal. Bettas rest sometimes, and mine rest at the bottom or on a leaf or wherever they feel like. He should be swimming around often though and not resting all day long. Also, unless you live in a tropical country (and even sometimes still then), you will need to get a heater for him. Bettas need temperatures of at least 78 degrees.

3. The light is really up to you. If you don't have live plants in his tank, and he gets enough ambient light to have a normal day/night cycle, you don't need a tank light. Tank lights are really mostly either to show off his pretty colors or to grow plants.

4. Hyper is pretty normal as long as he's not wearing himself out or bumping/rubbing/scratching against things (this is called "flashing" and can be a sign of parasites).

5. Yes, my bettas swim all over the tank, including the bottom, top, and middle.

6. Gravel is really just for looks. If you're happy with what you have, then it's fine. It can be easier to clean a tank without a lot of gravel.

For some added advice: I think that the little cube you have is only 1/2 a gallon, correct? You should really consider upgrading to something a little larger - at least 2 1/2 gallons. Not only is it difficult to keep a smaller tank clean, it is also difficult to keep it heated consistently. Depending on your budget, we can make suggestions that may cost you as little as about $30 to give your little buddy a nice upgrade to make him more comfortable.

While he's in the little cube, you'll need to be changing 100% of the water every day and rinse the gravel as well.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Ok. I'm going to say this nicely. You cannot keep a betta in that "tank". You need to get at least a 1 gallon got 1.5 gallon tank. A 2.5 gallon tank would be better though. Or a 5 gallon would be ideal. This is why. Bettas need a heater. You cannot skip on the heater. You can't heat the "tank" you currently have for him. Also that "tank" needs daily 100% water changes. A 1 gallon - 1.5 gallon can get away with water changes every other day. A 2.5 gallon needs two water changes a week. A 5 gallon needs one water change a week. If you continue to keep your betta in that tank then he will die of ammonia poisoning or will get sick due to the cold water.

Now I'll answer your questions.

1. How much should i feed my fish his betta food or how often - you should feed bettas pellets are low in fillers like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Until you upgrade your tank and get a heater, feed every other day 1-2 pellets. This is because your water is cold and you also want to limit the amount of waste in his tank. When you get your new tank feed your fish daily with one fasting day a week. Feed him 3-5 pellets. Feed them one at a time and stop when his belly looks rounded and plump but not bloated.

2. is it normal for him float at the bottom of the tank - no. this is because he is cold and bored in such a small tank. The ammonia build up probably isn't helping.

3. Do they like light i was wondering if i should get him a little light for his tank - they do not need a light but you they need a similar light cycle as humans meaning that they need a night time where there is no lights on. Your room lights are fine.

4. he seems to be very hyper is that normal he has a small marina tank - he is probably being burned by the ammonia.

5. is it normal to swim at the bottom of the tank - yes.

6. should i get more gravel for the tank? - not even going to answer this because you need another tank.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I wish they'd stop selling these tiny little containers as a fish habitat. All they are really good for is to be able to take better pictures of the Betta and maybe to do medical treatments in should he get sick.

He's a pretty little blue boy though, and congratulations to the addition to your family. If you don't want to invest in a bigger tank due to cost, you can also look at second hand sites, such as Craig's List, kijiji, or gumtree, depending where you are from. There one can find complete set-ups (tank with hood, filter, heater, supplies) for a fraction of the cost.

It is very, very important to keep up with the water changes, especially if the tank (filter) isn't cycled. I will post you some links to stickies from this forum that should help you out quite a bit.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I know he needs a new tank his is just temporary but one thing i noticed is that he is obsessed with his reflection because inside the tank it has a mirror look to it he floats back and fourth looking at himself

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That mirror effect is in my tanks too, he may be bored and find the reflections distracting. Once you have a bigger tank and more decorations he will be more interested in exploring those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts