Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. I went back to Petsmart and picked up the girl I had left behind the other day. I can't believe she was still there! At least.. I think it is a she.. >>;

Maybe you guys can help me make sure my new buy is a girl? XD
Tried to get her to flare at the store but she wouldn't. Not at any of their rowdy boys or the girls.

Anywhere, here she is! My newest dragon.
First ones are in her cup when we first got back home. Look how clean her water is!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple more. The last is of her in her cup floating in the sorority.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Was she in one of the cups labeled "Dragon Betta" at Petsmart? If so, chances are she's a male. As far as I know, Petsmart never sells female dragons, only male dragon plakats. It might be hard to tell on a pale fish but can you see an eggspot if you hold her cup over your head?

If she WASN'T in a specially labeled cup with a red or blue lid, then she could easily be a she.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one here has been selling male and females. One they had was very obviously male and smaller than this one. Whenever I put the cup over my head, ventrals go against the body. The ventrals are done in blue and purple so the kind of hide everything.
Had a feeling it was too good to be true though.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
You're lucky your Petsmart sells female dragons too. Mine sells just plain females, usually sad looking red Cambodian girls. Okay, maybe when she relaxes you'll be able to see the eggspot without her trying to hide it with her ventrals. Can't say I blame her, I guess trying to look at that "spot" is a little invasive, haha. To be honest, her head says female to me.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought too and why I picked her. There was a new one there today that almost came home too, but I decided to go with just this one for now. Going to be order some from people on here too, I think. *planing to upgrade sorority really soon*

She/he hasn't flared at anything still. Not even Freydis or Lolth who have come to check out their new "tank mate". After your last post, I took "her" out of the sorority and floated "her" with each of my males for a moment. "She" tried to run from Leonidas, ignored Odin (as he did "her"), and put "her" head down to a flaring Egil.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I'm thinking a very shy female right now. Compare her head to your dragon males. Usually, males have more of a slight hump that slopes down to their lips, which tend to pucker out more than a female's. A female usually has a pretty straight line from her back to her nose.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems more stream-lined like my girls. Definitely a difference between "her" and my boys.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
She is really cute!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"She" did that at the store too. Either way, I'll keep a close eye. If anything starts to point to being male, removal from the sorority will be immediate. Right now still floating in the cup in the sorority. The only girl that hasn't gone to see what is going on is Eva. She's simply waiting for dinner which I'm going to give them now. Bit late with it since the hurried trip into town. If we hadn't gone, poor Fenris would have had a skimpy breakfast.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
She is a he ;)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my. How can you tell? That way I know and don't make the sexing mistake again... As easily. XD

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, going to keep this little one floating in the sorority over night. Maybe he/she will flare for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Whichever gender Herman is Herman is 1 hot fishy!!!(sorry for the rubbish joke)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well then, I guess I better get another tank set up. Not a problem there. I didn't know they had started to sell PKs. He's pretty at least. ^_^

1 - 20 of 30 Posts