Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have an extremely picky eater on my hands, he won't eat anything but a certain brand of pellet food. He literally ignores or rejects all other foods, even the goodies I give to him he takes no interest in. I've tried mixing old and new food together with no luck.
Does anyone have any tips on getting him to eat?
Its been several days since I ran out of his 'my brand' food and he still won't eat the new stuff.
Thank you for your time

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
How long is several days? I have a Betta who will only eat Omega One pellets so thats what I feed him BUT he will also eat frozen foods. What brand is it that he'll eat & what brand are your trying to get him to eat?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Try giving him a few frozen bloodworms for a while. He will get used to the idea that anything you give him is delicious. Then, cut a pellet into small pieces unless it is already a very small pellet, and sneak it in the mix. After a few days you should be able to give him just the pellets and he should accept them ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is: He won't eat blood worms of any kind. OR brine shrimp. He only eats Top Fin. He sounds like such a pampered fish but I swear he hasn't eaten for three days now because he won't eat the food.
I am trying to get him to eat Tetra Betta (its all the store had at the time).

Im going to try and trick him but I am very worried, he went 5 days last time and I had to put him in his travel cup and harass him with food before he would keep it down.

Last night I attempted and he ate it, spit it back out, flared at it, ate it AGAIN, spit it back out again, flared at it again. And this repeated for a good five minutes.

Meanwhile my other fish are perfectly fine with the transition.

I've scrounged up some pellets of the old brand in a baggie I have but theres only 4 small pieces -_-. So I shall try and persuade him by tricking him. Hopefully??

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would order some NLS or Omega One. He is fine for a few days until they arrive. If he gets really starving, he will eat. You could try holding a bloodworm with tweezers an wiggling it to simulate prey movement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He isn't sick he does this everytime. Unless he's been sick for over a year and the parasite just likes Top Fin??o___0 Is that a possibility? I figured hes just being picky.
I've tried the wiggling and dangling the blood worm. I even had a chopstick with food and made it run around in the water dragging the surface. Still a no go.
I have noticed he fasts himself when he build bubble nests does this mean anything?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Top Fin and the tetra food aren't the best quality, so right now he's like a kid who's been living off McDonalds. ;) He doesn't want to eat "real" food, and he's being stubborn. ;)

I agree with VJM, order some New Life Spectrum, almost *any* betta will eat those, and I think it's because of the garlic in them. Bettas love garlic. :) And the NLS brand is very good quality, you'll see an improvement in their color and possibly their size and muscle tone because of the good protein and vitamins in it. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whaat??? Noooo I thought it was healthy!!!! Thats why I switched over to it in the first place!!
He will eat his veggies and he will like it. Alright so garlic? Uhmm what if I dont have the funds to buy this garlic stuff? Can I make my own?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If he is an healthy and plump/regular sized little fishie he will be able to go 7 to 10 days before the stomach rumble begins to wear down his little sulking act.
I had a dog that lived off all the leftover roast for a week after one christmas and refused to eat when the canned food came back, even turned her bowl over on the floor. Watching her eat that first bite after a few days was hilarious...have you ever seen a dog try and hide the fact they are chewing through a grimace as she glares right at you?

Garlic juice is just that. If you cant afford a fancy product bottle I imagine buying a clove or two and squeezing out a drop of juice will be enough. Dilute it with some tank water if you think it might be too strong for him.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If he is an healthy and plump/regular sized little fishie he will be able to go 7 to 10 days before the stomach rumble begins to wear down his little sulking act.
I had a dog that lived off all the leftover roast for a week after one christmas and refused to eat when the canned food came back, even turned her bowl over on the floor. Watching her eat that first bite after a few days was hilarious...have you ever seen a dog try and hide the fact they are chewing through a grimace as she glares right at you?

Garlic juice is just that. If you cant afford a fancy product bottle I imagine buying a clove or two and squeezing out a drop of juice will be enough. Dilute it with some tank water if you think it might be too strong for him.
Thank you so much! I find it reassring since I thought they would die after 7 to 10 days, not just get super hungry! I've already seen his lil' belly shrink and my heart broke.
He's such a little bugger though so Im getting used to him being a meanie head.

Ok so, checking I got this: I get a clove of garlic, squeeze out drop of juice and then dilute it with tank water and soak some pellets in it. Correct? How long should I soak the pellets?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Uhmm so he hasn't been eating at all yet, he keeps throwing it back up and swimming side ways at it....Any ideas?

·
Registered
591 Posts
New Life Spectrum, Or Omega One are worth a try. I would be very suspicious about disease or stress at this point. Provide clean, conditioned water, and good food, and see if it helps.

I am so sorry, it must be really upsetting to see this.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am as well, it is especially because I just lost my other betta. I plan on doing a 100% water change tonight and hopefully I'll be able to get to the shop sometime soon to get a different brand for him...Maybe I dont know
I've tried flakes, the blood worms the brine shrimp, the integrating the everything

The only thing is: He isn't rubbing against anything or acting any different he just isnt eating.
Should I post in the disease and emergency thread do you think>

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think he is just being stubborn Bettas are known for that. The New Life Spectrum are great but the only thing is they sink easy if not eaten right away so because of this I would try the Omega One and you could soak them in garlic juice and see if he will go for those. Good luck !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.