Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, I've discovered a new and unpleasant issue with my 10 gallon tank.

We've got an Oil Slick.

Background Info:
Established and Cycled 10 Gallon, Planted with Gravel.
1 Male Betta, 2 Cory's and One Apple Snail.
Water parameters are all normal according to the Master Test Kit.
(ph 6.8-7.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-0.25)
Did a 20% water change, treated with a few drops of Prime.
Rinsed some of the floss which we use to slow down our powerful filter (not all, only the part which can contact the surface)
Vacuumed the small area near where the food possibly falls (when not eaten by Corys/Snail) and the surface area.

...I'm out of ideas. Online some said use paper towels but that seems like it'd mess with the water and add lint, which I don't want. :cry:

Please advise?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used the paper towel method and I don't remember it adding lint to the water. It takes a couple times to get most of it. Since doing it I haven't had a problem with an oil slick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you manage it?
The few things I saw said to "layer" them but that seems far to likely to sink in the tank to me. Should I just dab at it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I set a single sheet flat on the surface of the water for just long enough that it becomes wet. Not long enough for it to really sink in the water. Then I repeated until most of the oil slick was gone. Then I did a big water change so I could disturb the surface enough that any remaining oily residue would be gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.