Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 4 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 2 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Jalaluddin!

Took a combined effort of my persuasion skills and his adorableness and within a span of a month and a half he has finally been able to come home! He is joining a family of six other bettas, four snails, one shrimp, two mice, and two madagascar hissing roaches.

On another note.
What do y'all think of his eyes? Are they just exceptionally large? When I first saw him a month and a half ago they were that big and I thought that maybe he's got pop-eye but I'm not sure since they haven't gotten any bigger. Y'alls thoughts?
On an off-topic note, he has henceforth been nicknamed "Bubble Eyes" for this reason.

I'm going to continue watching him of course. And I have a few small pieces of IAL I'm going to put in with him as well.

Anyways. That's my newest kiddo! And any thoughts of what y'all think is up with him are highly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Those eyes are definitely too big. Really nice color though!
Im glad it wasn't just me thinking that.
And thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes, they look a little big.....maybe a little clean salt water will do the trick. Keep an eye on those eyes! Beautiful

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they look a little big.....maybe a little clean salt water will do the trick. Keep an eye on those eyes! Beautiful
Should he get an epsom salt bath?
Absolutely will and thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, thank you!

·
Premium Member
Archie and Oscar (my dogs) Brody, Simon, Hank (my dogs) and -
607 Posts
Meet Jalaluddin!

Took a combined effort of my persuasion skills and his adorableness and within a span of a month and a half he has finally been able to come home! He is joining a family of six other bettas, four snails, one shrimp, two mice, and two madagascar hissing roaches.

On another note.
What do y'all think of his eyes? Are they just exceptionally large? When I first saw him a month and a half ago they were that big and I thought that maybe he's got pop-eye but I'm not sure since they haven't gotten any bigger. Y'alls thoughts?
On an off-topic note, he has henceforth been nicknamed "Bubble Eyes" for this reason.

I'm going to continue watching him of course. And I have a few small pieces of IAL I'm going to put in with him as well.

Anyways. That's my newest kiddo! And any thoughts of what y'all think is up with him are highly appreciated, thanks!
Hi! He’s really adorable! I agree that the IAL is a great suggestion. Once you move him to his tank or a hospital tank, you could also brew a strong IAL tea along with floating a leaf. It’s very soothing to them and has so many antifungal and antibacterial properties.

Congrats on your new beautiful boy! He’s precious.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Meet Jalaluddin!

On another note.

You could also move your question to the “Diseases and Emergencies” section on the forum. There’s a form you’ll need to fill out but you may get more immediate help with a diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I apologize if you already moved your question over but in case you did not, I wanted to send you the form.

The Betta Fish Team

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I apologize if you already moved your question over but in case you did not, I wanted to send you the form.

The Betta Fish Team

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.
I did not yet, thanks!
I just hadn't had him long originally so I couldn't fill out much of that. I'm currently doing 1x daily aquarium salt bath and an IAL in his current tank and if doesn't make a dent within the next couple of days I will post something over there. Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I did not yet, thanks!
I just hadn't had him long originally so I couldn't fill out much of that. I'm currently doing 1x daily aquarium salt bath and an IAL in his current tank and if doesn't make a dent within the next couple of days I will post something over there. Thank you again!
That’s a great idea. I want to make sure you get the help you need. If you can get maybe a clear pic of his eye (I know it’s so hard) but it might help diagnose him. The aquarium salt is excellent so I think that’s the best plan right now. I hope you have a nice night. Take care, Lauren

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a great idea. I want to make sure you get the help you need. If you can get maybe a clear pic of his eye (I know it’s so hard) but it might help diagnose him. The aquarium salt is excellent so I think that’s the best plan right now. I hope you have a nice night. Take care, Lauren
I'm not able to grab one at the moment but I will try my best to tomorrow.
He's only had two baths so far, and he's handling them great, but they don't seem to have made any difference yet but I know sometimes it takes a few days. So if this doesn't help out I will definitely make a separate post with better pics and all in a couple days.
But I'll try to get a better pic posted on this thread tomorrow, thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure if this is much better, his eye has a glare to it due to flash btw

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
I might not be reading this correctly, but I don't believe they give aquarium salt baths to fish. Epsom salt is for internal issues like constipation and aquarium salt is for external issues like scrapes....I suggested aquarium salt because it goes along with keeping the water clean. (making it difficult for germs to live) Might need to look into antibiotics for his eyes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might not be reading this correctly, but I don't believe they give aquarium salt baths to fish. Epsom salt is for internal issues like constipation and aquarium salt is for external issues like scrapes....I suggested aquarium salt because it goes along with keeping the water clean. (making it difficult for germs to live) Might need to look into antibiotics for his eyes.
No problem! I've read a couple of different sources that suggest aquarium salt baths, I honestly had never heard of sprinkling salt into a tank until I joined the forum. But how would you suggest doing aquarium salt for a 1 gal tank? And is there anything special I would need to do like daily water changes and what amount if so? And what amount of salt?
I've got him in that for another few days then I'll acclimate him into my open 5gal that's mostly planted, has a mystery snail, and I'll be adding in a few ghost shrimp within the next day or two. (He'll go in after the shrimp have adjusted)
And what antibiotics would you suggest? I have Kanaplex and Betta Revive on hand. I also have BettaFix though personally I don't like using that unless it's my only option.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have never used Kanaplex but it says on the box that it will treat popeye. Also aquarium salt is 15ml/5gal so 3ml/1gal.
5ml = 1 tsp so a little more than 1/2 tsp.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have never used Kanaplex but it says on the box that it will treat popeye. Also aquarium salt is 15ml/5gal so 3ml/1gal.
5ml = 1 tsp so a little more than 1/2 tsp.
Okay, thank you so much!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts