Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up picking some NLS up at Petco today and realized I picked up the all purpose formula rather than the betta formula. Is this still going to be acceptable?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm very new to betta keeping. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First five ingredients are whole Antarctic krill, whole fish, whole wheat flour, ulva seaweed, chlorella algea.

Min. 37% protein
Min 5% fat
Max 4% fiber
Max 10% moisture
Max 8% ash

They are 1mm pellets

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's not too bad, but the flour is a filler and the protein content could be better.

It'll work, but it's not the healthiest. I wouldn't recommend it for sick fish that might need high-quality food, and if you can get the betta stuff, then you should. But it's not like you need to rush out ASAP or anything.

It's about on par with Aqueon betta food, which isn't great but it does work.

New fish will color up better/more quickly on better food, too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first five ingredients are extremely similar to the betta formula. Wheat flour is the third ingredient in both of them.

The protein/fat/etc also seem to be identical.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this on the NLS website.

"All ingredients used are almost identical, since we cannot find anything better than what we are using. However, the crude analysis will be different due to the percentage of ingredients incorporated into a specific formula."

And it appears that the guaranteed analysis for the all purpose and betta formula are exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We've used about every kind of NLS there is and the bettas love all of it, so far no issues with any of them at all. I wouldn't worry about it not saying "betta" on the jar as they are all pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm with Peachii on this one. The ingredient lists are almost identical, and from what I can tell the biggest difference is that the betta formula is smaller, and floats a little better.

My guys go NUTS for the NLS floating garlic formula. It's a little bigger pellet, so some of my tinier females have some trouble with it, but the males all love it, and the garlic is a natural anti-parasitic, which is just always a plus. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That's not too bad, but the flour is a filler and the protein content could be better.

It'll work, but it's not the healthiest. I wouldn't recommend it for sick fish that might need high-quality food, and if you can get the betta stuff, then you should. But it's not like you need to rush out ASAP or anything.

It's about on par with Aqueon betta food, which isn't great but it does work.

New fish will color up better/more quickly on better food, too.

Flour is a binder here, not a filler. It's a requirement for processed foods. You cannot look at percentages to determine food quality, because it totally ignores the QUALITY of the ingredients, which is where NLS (all varieties) excel.

NLS foods are top shelf, with only a couple rivals. I really don't understand why you think this food isn't of the same quality as the betta formula - all the formulas use the same top quality ingredients. While the aqueon food is pretty good (top 5 IMO), NLS (even this formula) is much better.

The fish will show fantastic colors on NLS foods. Too, new fish coloring up has way more to do with alleviating stress than it does the food you are feeding. It's how the colors improve after the fish has settled in that matters for food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts