Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

A friend of mine gave me a new Beamworks Viva Grow led light it's a clone Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED.

Im not normally a fan of LED's but my T8's are starting to flicker and as I cant get the tubes I want due to corona virus I am going to try it.

My question.

Should I run it in 24/7 mode ( you get sunrise mid day dusk and moonlight ) or at max for 8 hours a day?

This is the tank with the new light

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The Finnex planted +is designed for medium to high light loving plants. Low light plants do seem to burn or brown out quickly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi

Thanks for the advice, The only plant that may have trouble is the Hygrophila corymbosa the rest of the plants will be fine.

I just got 20 Seachem root tabs and put them in the substrate around the plants and intend to use Seachem Flourish comprehensive for the planted tank, refuse to use Excel because I think that stuff is dangerous.

My biggest concern is Asmodeus and the 24 hour mode, right now its mid day in the tank and the light is not bothering him.

I threw in a few floaters, this is the actual light level in the tank now

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Update.

The floating plant has started pearling, it's probably false pearling because it came from another tank. My Betta seems fine with the light in fact I think he likes it as it helps him see the baby shrimp.

I also figured the timer thing out, Im running the light on a timer on 12 hours a day, the timer turns the light on at 9am and the light comes on in 9 am mode on the 24 hour setting then it cycles thru to mid day afternoon and dusk and shuts down at 9pm in 9pm mode. I hope all that makes sense.

Now more complicated stuff, To set a Beamworks Viva grow up like I just did.

You need a timer,
The light remembers what setting it was in and if in 24 hour mode it remembers the time the power was cut, when the power comes back on the light returns to the settings it was in including the time and starts in that time.

Set your timer to come on at 9am then put the light into 24/7 mode and set it to 9am and let it run till a few minutes to 9pm, at 8.55 pm set the light to 9am mode and set the timer to turn off at 9pm.

From now on your light will come on at 9am in 9am mode cycle through a 12 hour cycle and shut down at 9pm in 9pm mode.

Easy huh?

I will run the tank like this for a week while monitoring things, I only put the floating plant in to help with algae it will be removed once some of the plants reach the surface, My plan is to just let all the plants grow till they reach the surface.

PS

A friend of mine has a par meter and once I can go get it I am going to start playing with the settings

·
Super Moderator
18,785 Posts
I was a fluorescent die-hard. Then I started figuring what tubes cost per year. I replaced them, like I did with my African violet stands, when the ends started turning. This was around every six months.

Compared that to the cost of an LED and was no longer a die-hard. I now use Finnex Stingrays. They are great for my low-light and medium-light plants in tanks but not enough PAR for more demanding plants.

Hope you like the LED as much as I do.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

No just no, I hate the LED so much I actually drove a 4 hour return trip to get the fluro tubes I wanted.

Did I mention how much I hate the light?

Fluro rules LED drools.

·
Super Moderator
18,785 Posts
What don't you like about them? I have several friends who have bought Beamworks because they didn't want to pay the $$ for Finnex. Said they never would again. Not only did the Beamworks conk out really fast, but they drooled. ;)

Forgot to add: I use two Stingrays on my 20 longs and also when I had a 10.

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
I never really liked the color spectrum on the fluorescent lights, same goes for the pre-set LED lights. The higher end LED lights that have the variable RGB LEDs on them, while they may seem gimmicky, I find it valuable that I am able to find a color profile that like. Say what you want about the Ecoxotic E series lights, it is one of the best lights I still own, I just have to be careful not to trip the thermal cutoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts