Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at work, when my friends called me to let me know they were in Petland, and saw a betta that I would like. I told them to buy it for me.

Here he is <3

View attachment 400378

This is my first PK, and he is a tiny lil' fella. I thought Freed (my youngest betta) was small.. Well, check out this comparison lol

View attachment 400394

His right fin is a bit torn, but hopefully that will grow back with time, as his grows :)

View attachment 400410

He's temporarily in a 2 gallon drum bowl since he was a bit of a unexpected surprise :p Once I finish juggling my tanks/fish around, he will likely share a divided 10 gallon with someone. Once I was done taking pictures, I put a newspaper between his bowl and Freed's tank.

View attachment 400426
View attachment 400434
This picture is him in his bag in the bowl while he was acclimatizing. He was so happy to be free of that bag.

This was his water from the bag before I started acclimatizing. :(
View attachment 400442

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hey, petsmart cups can have ammonia above .8, that's nothing! He looks healthy, is he completely EE or do you think he is an PKEE+PK mix? (Are his ears fully sized and fully opaque)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a feeling they just got their shipment in not too long ago - they all looked lively from the pictures my friends sent me. However, at the same store, I've seen dead bettas sitting on the shelf, and others near death...

I'm not 100% sure if he is full PKEE. I saw some that were, but their colours did not interest me as much (more of the lavendar/salamanders colours). He's currently downstairs, taking a nap now that the lights are all turned off, but from my pictures and video I took, his ears look fully opaque. I hope now that he's in clean water his colours will show up better and I will be able to see what he really is as he grows.

This picture shows you a better ear-body ratio.
View attachment 400530

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I think that his ears will probably grow more as he grows up, you'll see Mesmer is a full EE despite not being PK http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=21210&pictureid=132562 but usually when you cross an EE with a non EE the kids have small EEs and it takes another generation to get the giant ears. (I would still call yours an EE, he looks about 6-8 months old)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought he's likely an EE, but not one with HUGE ears like I've seen before. The third and fourth picture makes his "ear" look like it's partially transparent, but it's actually a chunk that was torn out.
I'm secretly hoping they will grow as he gets older :p But I love the lil guy. he's probably the smallest betta I have owned (and has not died on me the moment I get it home :S)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
EEEEP! Anchovys long lost brother! XD

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Oh he will. Anchovy had those little fins when he was younger.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that makes me excited. I've never really seen the progression of a young EE to an adult, so I wasn't sure how much fins grew out... But I guess even seeing Gajeel (My DeT turned Rose Tail) is a good example of how much fins can grow xD

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Well that makes me excited. I've never really seen the progression of a young EE to an adult, so I wasn't sure how much fins grew out... But I guess even seeing Gajeel (My DeT turned Rose Tail) is a good example of how much fins can grow xD

Agreed! 8D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I told myself that I wouldn't get myself another betta, UNLESS it was an EE.. And low and behold... I will not get any more now xD 10 is my limit. NO MORE!

Now I gotta pick who gets to share the divided 10 gallon :/ I have not had a lot of success with divided tanks and most of my boys. There's always one that starts fin biting >.<

Also, in regards to the water that my little one was in - My friends say that the store got the shipment of EEs in that week. The shelves were apparently FULL of EEs. If there is any left by next thursday, I'm gonna scoop one up for my friends.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I told myself that I wouldn't get myself another betta, UNLESS it was an EE.. And low and behold... I will not get any more now xD 10 is my limit. NO MORE!

Now I gotta pick who gets to share the divided 10 gallon :/ I have not had a lot of success with divided tanks and most of my boys. There's always one that starts fin biting >.<

Also, in regards to the water that my little one was in - My friends say that the store got the shipment of EEs in that week. The shelves were apparently FULL of EEs. If there is any left by next thursday, I'm gonna scoop one up for my friends.
why would they tail nip? cause they see the other betta? What I did with my divider was put two acrylic meshes together and then that way you can put moss in the middle. I don't have the moss yet and they cannot see one another.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why would they tail nip? cause they see the other betta? What I did with my divider was put two acrylic meshes together and then that way you can put moss in the middle. I don't have the moss yet and they cannot see one another.
I'm not quite sure. My first pair (Gray and Gajeel) had a divided 10 gallon. The filter was baffled and the flow actually was on the divider so neither one got pushed around. Gray was tail biting before, which I figured was caused by him being in a 1.5 gallon tank, so I was trying a few different things and eventually plunked him into a divided 10 and tossed in Gajeel since Gajeel never flared. They were doing good until Gray ripped a huge chunk out of his tail (Not sure if you remember me posting about that), so I made the boys swap sides. Well that caused Gajeel to freak out and start eating his tail to. Once things were not getting better, I took Gajeel out and put him back into his own 3 gallon. He's been great since. Gray now shares that 10 gallon with corydoras and hasn't eaten his tail since.

Mystogan and Elfman were my next pairing. Elfman ALWAYS swam away from the divider if he saw Mystogan flare. However it was Mystogan who started tail biting. Probably out of frustration. He wasn't flaring all the time, just here and there. So Mystogan is in his own 5 gallon and Elfman is in a 30 gallon that I'm putting together for a nice community tank.

I will have to try out the double mesh idea though. I was also thinking of doing the 2-divider idea (filter and heater in the middle of two dividers) and maybe put a plant or something in there as well.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Hmmm interesting. but I am glad things worked out for the better. ^^

Ooh yeah I remember you talking about having the filter in with the divider. =) I would love to see that once done. =D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.