Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have been a member of Bettafish.com for a little while now. I joined due to my little guy, Zo, becoming extremely ill and eventually passing. I would not have been able to care for him as well as I did without the help of the members here.

It has been a little while since Zo's passing, and I have been back and forth with wondering if I was ready to bring another betta home. After a trip to Walmart on Friday, I came home with two guys.

I was not anticipating getting any so soon and didn't even have any tanks set up, but I always check out the fish section when I go shopping, and these little guys were in about an inch of water and one had a crack in his cup. I just couldn't bear leaving them like that.

So, with that being said, I would like to introduce Braunie and Clyde!

(see that huge crack?)

These are their current set ups. Clyde's tank is the cylinder shaped one, which has began to get murky, so I've set him up a spare tank to hang out in until I can get his tank clean and going again. Braunie's tank is the rectangular one. He still needs a heater, (currently sitting on a heating pad at the moment) and he also needs a thermometer. Most of the set ups are Zo's old things, which I boiled multiple times and washed off really well to make sure nothing was transferred over.

(Clyde's home)

(Clyde's temporary home, including his beloved heater)

(Braunie's home)

This is Braunie. He is an active little guy and loves to explore. He's already made a huge bubble nest. However, I've caught him biting his tail (which I have never had experience with. It is SO frustrating!!!), and his beautiful little tail is beginning to look ragged. I gave both boys ping pong balls to try to entertain them, they were a little freaked out, but it seems to have distracted Braunie for the time being. I've also added a tiny bit of AQ salt to try and avoid fin rot from setting in. I haven't noticed a very "melty" appearance on his tail, so I haven't started to worry about him yet. He still seems very happy and healthy. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any for his bad habit!

(his poor little tail)

(caught the sneaky guy chasing his tail)

This is Clyde. He was the one with the crack in his cup. The water had dripped out all over the shelf he was sitting on, and continued to drip in the shopping cart, in my car, and on my counter when I was setting up his home. I was so furious with how they could leave him in a cup like that. He's shy, but very territorial. He likes to flare and follow my finger. He's obsessed with his heater, which I removed for a little while to heat up a spare tank, so he's been exploring a little more since then.

(I think he has a small spot of scale missing on his gill, which you can see here)

(blurry, but I kind of caught a flare)

(he needs a new plant home, his is pretty tattered, but I was too anxious to get them out of their cups to stay and shop for new stuff)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm happy to hear you saved two bettas, that is awesome :) also you only use aqua salt when your fish is really sick because it can do damage. Nice decorating the tanks look awesome. I had a betta when I was in kindergarten that lived for five years. Then I toke a 12 year break. Now I have two bettas that are my spoiled brats. You should think about teaching them tricks, it makes your bettas gets work out.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also sometimes scales just fall off, it's ok.

·
Registered
696 Posts
They are so cute. Yeah going past the Betta's is like a candy counter. I want to take them all home. I am going to pick up one tommorow, it's a baby. I hope she's still there and alive.
I also will be putting her in a Methylene Blue bath when I bring her home.

I have never caught my fish biting their tales, they always get them torn up in the return on the filters, for which some reason Bettas love hanging out against (Now since has been fixed). But I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

Good luck with them. They are two lucky little fish. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Beautiful boys! Keep us updated:)
But to the user above, please don't do a methylene blue bath for a baby, it can really cause more problems.:)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
mart agree with Doctor you don't need to use any medications unless you think that baby is sick.
Sammy-so nice you rescued them. Beautiful bettas!!! Walmart near me never cares about their bettas, and they are always in dying condition.

I also agree with fiffany no salt yet unless you will really think that the tail getting infected. The symptoms you don't want to see: "smudged" darkened fins; fins getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving; Black or red along the edges; ragged or frayed edges; any behavior changes

If they are the same color as his body, or have white/clear tips, this indicates normal growth.
I love the tanks. Murky water is fine it will clear up with the water changes. It a bacteria bloom happens in tanks that just have been set up. It will not hurt your betta. For your tanks can do full water changes once a wk. Or you also can do a few 50% in between to clear up the water.

Tail biting , i am sure it frustrating. Just keep water super clean to prevent an infection. People recommending more plants (silk or live), floating plants, toys like you already did; less water movements, may be even put a little toy outside of his tank.

I don't see any symptoms on the body that would indicate the disease but i still would recommend do not cross -contaminate anything between them. Have their own changing cup. Sometimes they show symptoms later on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everybody! Thanks for all of your posts and advice.

Tiffany, I also had a betta when I was pretty young that lived for an extremely long time! I can't believe he lasted as long as he did actually. The poor little guy was even named Princess. When I found out he was a boy, I changed it to Prince, but I think his identity crisis had already set in by that point.

Mart, I hope you'll be able to save the poor little baby. I really don't know much about medicating babies, but just be careful, and be sure to check out the disease and sickness threads on here. Keep us updated on how she is. I wish you the best of luck!

DoctorWho, I love your profile picture! What a beautiful little fish! I've never seen Doctor Who, but I hear it's one of the greatest shows ever. :)

Anhel, the Walmart here is also like that. They just don't care about any of their fish. I never see anyone over there doing any maintenance to the tanks or checking on them at all. I almost wanted to just take them all home. Poor babies. I will be sure to keep you updated on Braunie's progress with his fins. I'm taking your advice and starting with the water changes frequently. Both boys will definitely not share anything, especially right now! I don't think I could deal with two sets of bad fins.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My baby was gone, just hope she didn't die.
I got another, well the only other baby that was there. She seems in fine health.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
congrats on your new baby! I know how sad to leave sick bettas behind but when we live healthy ones - they will get sick there. So i always say rescue healthy one,especially if you already have another fish , you don't want to endanger it with contamination.
I never had baby betta, it so amazing to watch them to grow and change the color! If you need help on baby care i can find a few threads for you on this forum with recommendations .

·
Registered
696 Posts
congrats on your new baby! I know how sad to leave sick bettas behind but when we live healthy ones - they will get sick there. So i always say rescue healthy one,especially if you already have another fish , you don't want to endanger it with contamination.
I never had baby betta, it so amazing to watch them to grow and change the color! If you need help on baby care i can find a few threads for you on this forum with recommendations .
Thanks. She seems to be settling in well, and already a real character.
I just fed her some pellets, was not sure if she would be able to get them in her mouth, but no problem.

She's in a 1 gal, filtered, heated tank right now, but she will be moved in a couple weeks to a bigger one.

I actually wanted two. Was going to name them Thelma and Louise, but no luck. So I just have Louise now. Will look for a Thelma for her.

I've read up on the baby's a while back, and use to have tons of babies when I raised guppies. So, I should be fine. Thanks for the offer. If I need help, I'll give you a holler.

Tried taking some pics earlier, but they came out kinda funky. I don't have the light on in the tank, and didn't want to use flash quite yet. So it will be a few days before I can post any pics of her.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations on your new baby girl, Mart!! I'm sorry to hear your original choice wasn't there, but hopefully she was picked up by someone else and is being taken care of. Like Anhel said, let us know if you need any help. I would be glad to look around for answers for you as well. Best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby girl, Mart!! I'm sorry to hear your original choice wasn't there, but hopefully she was picked up by someone else and is being taken care of. Like Anhel said, let us know if you need any help. I would be glad to look around for answers for you as well. Best of luck to you!!
Thanks Sammy.
I look at that baby and she is soo small and cute. I think she'll be ok. Keeping fingers crossed nothing bad has gone down before I bought her.

The thing that bothers me about the other is that there were parents with really tiny kids there Sat. and I'm just hoping that at least someone older bought her.
She also looked to have had maybe some gill bacterial disease, possibly from the ammonia in the water from not being changed. There was a lot of poo in her water, so it had to have been there longer than 4 days.

Well at least I saved Louise. :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
What kind of personality does she have? I have one sassy girl and a mellow guy. Both are trained to preform tricks for blood worms. Last year, I found this super cute small girl I ended up bringing her home and had her stay in my back up tank till I had a better tank for her. I named her shadow and trained her to jump out of the water for food and swim through hoops. I ended up giving her a new home where she would be spoiled with love. She died a month latter because they kept her by a window and it became too cold. Even though she didn't live as long as I would have liked, I'm glad I gave her to them because I know she was really happy there.

·
Registered
611 Posts
babies are cute!!!!
mart why are you need to use a filter in one gall tank? I don't think it necessary . You can just do a few full water changes every 3 -4 days:)

·
Registered
696 Posts
babies are cute!!!!
mart why are you need to use a filter in one gall tank? I don't think it necessary . You can just do a few full water changes every 3 -4 days:)
I always use a filter, and still do the water changes. I use a vacuum to remove the water. I don't like upsetting the fish by pulling them out just to do a partial water change.

·
Registered
611 Posts
then just rinse the filters to make sure they clean and don't block the water flow with all that stuff they taking from the water:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Louise is lucky to have you, Mart! What a sweet name for a little baby! How is she today? Also, I agree with Sunlight about the filter. Usually such a small tank wouldn't have a filter. I understand not wanting to upset them with the move though, I worry about that too. If you keep the filter, just make sure it isn't too rough for her in the 1 gallon. I've read so much on how sometimes the filters can make the current too strong. I personally don't use filters, but if it works for you, then that's great. Keep at it. She's a lucky little fish!

Tiffany, I'm sad to hear that she died. I would love to teach my bettas tricks. I just don't really know how to teach my pets things. My dog knows how to sit and bark, but that's about it for the tricks I've taught her.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Louise is lucky to have you, Mart! What a sweet name for a little baby! How is she today? Also, I agree with Sunlight about the filter. Usually such a small tank wouldn't have a filter. I understand not wanting to upset them with the move though, I worry about that too. If you keep the filter, just make sure it isn't too rough for her in the 1 gallon. I've read so much on how sometimes the filters can make the current too strong. I personally don't use filters, but if it works for you, then that's great. Keep at it. She's a lucky little fish!

Tiffany, I'm sad to hear that she died. I would love to teach my bettas tricks. I just don't really know how to teach my pets things. My dog knows how to sit and bark, but that's about it for the tricks I've taught her.
Thanks Sammy. She is doing fine with the filter and even plays in it. She is a funny little girl and is doing great, and is just one happy little girl. Eating well, and very alert and attentive.

She will be going into the 2.5 gal next week.

·
Registered
903 Posts

It's ok, I know she had a great life well it lasted. Also, I can help you out on teaching your bettas tricks. I would start with teaching your bettas to jump out of the water first, it's really easy to teach. All you need to do is hold food over tank around an two or three inches above the water. (make sure your bettas realize your holding food over the water). Then they will jump. They may bite your fingers, they aren't going to hurt you. Once your bettas learned this, tell me and I'll tell you the next trick you should teach them. Your bettas will get little work out from performing all jumping tricks, and my bettas love to jump for food.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts