Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is where this post belongs. I'm just writing about my own personal experience. After growing up with pet fish, I never realized the kind of care they needed. You'd get a Betta (or a Gold Fish) slap it in a bowl and be amazed if it lived over a year. I now have my first tank and my first (happy) Betta Fish. I bought a baby betta, 10 gallon tank, filter, heater, rocks, plants, and a house. I have never seen a fish this happy before. He actually eats from my hand. He now has a couple of tank mates (two neon tetras and two ghost shrimp). I just wanted you guys to know that this website helped me a lot with the tank/fish care. I had no idea how unhappy fish are in small spaces (well I mean I kinda assumed, but I hadn't really had a fish since I was a child). Drogon is happy and spastic.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
I love posts like this. Glad you have a happy fish.

Tetra like to be in schools of 6 or more. If they're not comfortable they tend to get nippy, something your Betta may not be able to handle -- or he might.

Love your dragon avatar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan was to add more tetras gradually, so I don't upset the tank ecosystem. Is two fish every two weeks the rule? Do you think they'll be okay with that? So far they act like Drogon is their boss, but I don't want them nipping at him.

Thanks! It's the dragon my Betta is named after. :)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Awesome! I like seeing happy stories out there.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Nowadays, with Prime, it's OK to stock all your Tetra at once. Use Prime to detoxify any ammonia that gets generated by the mini-cycle you might get. The tank should settle back down to 0.0ppm within a week or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh okay! I'll grab some more tetras this weekend. I like watching them swim together. Thanks guys!

I'll post a pic as soon as I get home today!

699 Posts
It's awesome to hear about people who really want to learn about how to give their pet the best care possible. Congrats on your little guy, sounds like he's lucky to have you.

Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH?

Good luck! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts