Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm totally new here, just got my betta last week kind of on impulse, but I don't want to leave him in the little .5 gallon (tiny, I know) tank I got with him. We don't have a good pet store nearby, so I'm making a trip as part of my birthday outing this coming Saturday to check out a couple of pet stores and hopefully come home with something good for him.

I don't have a really big budget for this, but I'm hoping to get a 5 gallon if I can, though I may have to settle for a 3 if it comes to that.

So what would you guys recommend for a starter? Apollo's pretty frisky even in his little tank, but I want to make sure he's got what he needs to be a happy fish. I've got the basics, pellets, bloodworms for a treat (he loooves them :lol:), and water conditioner. I'd like to kinda get a list of things to check out and look for when I go to the stores.

·
Registered
393 Posts
well i think a 3 or 5 gallon is just perfect for him! you should also get a heater as well and one of those glass in tank thermometers to know the exact temperatures.

are they freeze dried blood worms? if so you should look into frozen or live blood worms or brine shrimp that you can give him along with the pellets for meals.

oh! and something to hide in. terracotta flower pots work great. and make sure you get plants that won't rip any fins!!

good luck!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I suggest going big initially as it is cheaper and easier in the long run! Bigger tank= less water changes. And you will need a heater (and thermometer).
You can get a 5 gallon critter keeper ( size xtra large for under 20$) or you can buy an entire tengallon kit at walmart for $30!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I went to the store today just to check things out and I may have found something that'll work!

Granted I had to force myself not to buy the pretty halfmoon sitting on the shelf, but I got some aquarium salt and a little splotch of fake grass so my boy can at least entertain himself a little bit while he's in the itty bitty tank.

Any suggestions for aquarium heaters?

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Sounds like your betta's found himself a nice, caring home. If you can manage 5g or more, that'd be awesome. I have 3.5 and my betta's pretty happy, but I bet he'd love 5 and up.

If you do use terracotta pots, make sure the hole is stuffed with sponge or blocked some other way, as bettas can get stuck in it. Also check your plastic plants for sharp points that might snag delicate fins - if they rip a nylon stocking, they'll rip fins.

Omg, so much to remember! I'm still headspinny from trying to get it all right. But really, it's easy once you get past the crash-course stage. :)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I had varous sized tanks but I feel that the smaller ones are much easier to care for then the larger ones. I can lift up and carry to the sink a 3 gallon petco pet keeper - I can't do that with a 10 or 20 gallon tank.

If you inisit on a filter then you are going to need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits to test their levels while the filter is cycling. However, only 5 gallons and up can be cycled or so I have been told. If its less then that I wouldnt bother with a filter. you would still have to do the 2 water changes a week

Heaters are good too, just not the tetra preset ones. I have a 50 watt and it cant even heat up 3 gallons of water to over 75.

if you get a 10 gallon you can divide it and keep 2 or 3 males in it :-D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hagen elite submersible heaters work well for small tanks

and the tetra preset heaters are horrible

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So SURPRISE my dad bought me a 3 gallon fish tank tonight for my birthday. I got it set up and running and the water's been treated and salted. I still need a heater and some decorations, but it's looking good.

I was wondering if I had to cycle it before I put him in there (I haven't yet, obviously) it's running a bubble stone/under gravel filter situation and in any case I was going to let it stew a day or so before transferring him over, but I wanted to make sure that was okay. I know I'm asking a lot of newb questions but I don't want to kill my fish :C

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's the exact tank I have now, I love the bubble column because it makes for virtually no current, it's fantastic. I was kind of hoping to put him in there this afternoon after I test the water, would that be okay or should I cycle it?

Also, is aquarium salt really bad for them? I was going on the advice of a breeder and basically the instructions, both of which indicate to add it when setting up and doing water changes for fungus prevention and the like.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I'm still a fairly new betta owner myself (going on 2 months now), but from what I understand:
1) Aquarium Salt should only be used for treatment, and not a prolonged time.
2) Though it is possible to cycle a 3 gallon, it is not very stable and should not require cycling before the fish. Not sure about water changes, but I'd guess about 1 50% during the week and a 100% once a week.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Yup Arbiter is right, it will do more harm then food unless it is for treatment. Maximum of salt exposure is 10-14 days. Though if the Betta does have fungus or a wound you can use it pre dissolved. The salt is always good to have on hand so don't toss it.

And as far as cycling, it is almost impossible to hold a cycle, so you can put a Betta in there after the salt goes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did you get the Baby BiOrb? Because its actually an almost 4 gallon tank (like 3.98 gal, lets round). I have the same tank. Use the stuff they give you in the package and let it cycle for 24 hours, then you can add your betta. Mine has some ghost shrimp and Goblin in it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.