Registered
401 Posts
I second that thought. Both fish and tanks are beautifu.l

Reactions: keepsmiling

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow, those look great!
I've been thinking about doing something like that with potted plants- Can I ask what you have the plants in? Rocks? And are the pots floating or suction cupped to the side or something.
Really cool idea and beautiful tanks!

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, those look great!
I've been thinking about doing something like that with potted plants- Can I ask what you have the plants in? Rocks? And are the pots floating or suction cupped to the side or something.
Really cool idea and beautiful tanks!
Hi, thank you. The plants are in riparium pots, the back is flat. There are holes in the bottom so the roots can grow downward. The substrate and stones in the planters comes with them. It is some type of planting soil for aquaria..not sure. I did have the suction cup ones. In fact I might still have them somewhere. I switched to these, they have magnets which keeps them in place. I got them from a guy on a site who sells riparium stuff.

Wow! Those are sooo pretty, well done!
Thank you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice set ups

Reactions: keepsmiling

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the very nice comments.:cool:
I am wondering what type of sand you are using in your tanks? And where did you get it? It looks awesome.
Hi, it used to be called estes sand. But it wasn't this fine. It also had a bad habit of floating for awhile , or part of it did. When you would first set up. So when I went looking for it and googled estes sand, another website popped up and I ordered it, but what I received was something different. It is called sea corals dot net, and they still list it as estes sand.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Wow! What a beautiful scape and fish! Never seen those kinds of tanks? Are they custom made I would love to know... and buy A LOT for myself XD thanks!

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! What a beautiful scape and fish! Never seen those kinds of tanks? Are they custom made I would love to know... and buy A LOT for myself XD thanks!
Thank you.:cool: No, these were made probably before you were born. Hence the name 'retro'. They were made in the 50's- 60's and the brand was called Metaframe. It is all there was in a tank at that time. No rimless tanks. The sides of these are stainless steel. They are very difficult to find, pricey, and even harder to find not leaking or broken. They did not use silicone, they had a tar-like substance to seal them. Therein lies the problem. If stored all this time dry, that seal pulls away from the glass. They have slate bottoms, so you cannot just seal them with silicone. The silicone won't stick to the slate. There are three ways I have found to fix them if they leak. The 5 gallon did leak when I received it. I was lucky and the easiest fix worked.
Amazingly beautiful! would kill for tanks like that!
Thank you!:cool:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Wow! That's awhile... But I still adore those tanks! And especially your fish... They may not be in their homes the next time you feed them...:cool:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Oh! Forgot to mention! What kind of lighting do you use? The lighting looks beautiful does it actually look like that... XD I'm sounding weird asking about lighting lol :p thanks though

·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not weird to ask about lighting. It's an important component to growing live plants. It is just a retro style new desk lamp with a 12 watt spiral CFL daylight bulb.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Beautiful, and I've seen these early aluminum tanks before, and they are so iconic of that era. :)

Your bettas are beautiful, and the tank set-ups are lovely. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts