Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a new 15L tank and want to start a planted tank, since I will have it for a while before I get a new fish to go in it.

I have one small amazon sword in a little terracotta pot that it came in. There isn't a lot of plant variety due to import restrictions where I live.

What kind of plants should I try and get? I already have my eye on one that is growing on a piece of drift wood and and something crazy tangly that floats on top. Suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
well as far as ones that grow on/ attached to driftwood, there are several types of java fern and they do not require crazy amounts of light in fact they are low light plants, there are several type of anubus which are easy and low light, there are "buce" plants, that is the shortened name, these are pretty easy as well but depending on type have some of the most amazing colors on their leaves, a pic rarely does them justice, java fern and anubus arre fairly cheap and easy to get, the "buces" are a bit harder to get and can be costly. floating plants get anything but duckweed that stuff is just crazy and hard to get rid of if you do not like it. there are tons of plants but which plants are best for you depends on your lighting and how much effort you want to put into it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read I should have a certain amount of different types of plants? Is that true?

Also, should I crack the pot of my sword and let it grow? the pot is only tiny (about an inch across).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You can have whatever plants you want, i personally have probably over 100 species of plants easily, and yes you should unpot the plant, being kept in the pot will make it become "rootbound" and make it grow slower

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, well that clears things up. I was sitting here worried I had to have one of each kind, the aquarium store only had like four different ones >.<

What's the best way to un-pot it do you think? Just crack open the pot or gently pull it out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's done. Getting it all to sit right was so much harder than I thought it would be >.<

Looks good though. But how clear is clear? It's a tad (barely even) murky but I can see everything clearly enough. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts