Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 betta (Noah) but inheriting mom's betta, Sven
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a dragon. Didn't know anything about it at the time. Not something that easily comes up when searching for betta care and picking out bettas. Learned the hard way. He was completely blind in the left eye after I got him. He's losing sight in the right. So far, pellets have been working, albeit we're all over the tank and if he misses one I have to nudge it in front of his good eye with a plastic piece I don't need from a siphon. I want to get some floating plants for him, but he needs to learn to eat from a specific area free of plants. My initial idea was to soak his pellets in garlic juice to entice him over to the hoop.

I was just recently informed that garlic is maybe no longer the go to? Is it dangerous? Someone suggested just frozen foods. I read when I was picking out my diet that just frozen foods wouldn't provide enough nutrition or would be too fatty... there was some reason. Don't recall things back to January that no longer apply... or haven't until now.

Is garlic bad? Can I use frozen foods only? What is the best kind to use in that case? I'll have to wait a week until I can get into town again. I KNOW neither store carries daphnia. The store I prefer to use (because I get $15 worth of free points every month there) has brine shrimp, bloodworms, and beef heart. Best choice of the bunch? I'm getting some African dwarf frogs for my other (cycling) tank when it's all ready to go. I know I'll at least supplement pellet diet with frozen bloodworms. What's the best?

Thanks.

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
If you're worried about straight garlic you could use Seachem - GarlicGuard.

Bloodworms contain a lot of fat and should only be used for Betta and ADF as treats. Brine Shrimp and Beef Heart would be your best bet. The ADF group to which I belong preaches about the dangers of Bloodworms. Personally, I've seen no ill effects; but, I only feed it 2 x per week.

If you're worried about nutrition, https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708-Freshwater-Vitachem/dp/B00BS96V78 is worth a try. It is specifically for freshwater fish. SeaChem Vitality can be used with freshwater but was formulated for Marine (per SeaChem web site).

I feed 90% frozen and 10% Bug (Black Soldier Fly Larvae) Grain Free Crumbles

Have to order online so I buy from www.liveaquaria.com. If something is made by Gamma I buy it over the other brands. I prefer blister packs to sliced. Place leftover in a small pill bottle and store in refrigerator for no more than five days.

Freshwater Frenzy (San Francisco Bay)
Mini Bloodworms
Brine Shrimp with Spirulina
Vegetarian Diet (Gamma) or Emerald Entree (can't remember who makes it)
Daphnia
Cyclops
Chopped Clams (Ocean Nutrition)
Krill (Rinse first)
Tubifex Worms

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're worried about straight garlic you could use Seachem - GarlicGuard.

Bloodworms contain a lot of fat and should only be used for Betta and ADF as treats. Brine Shrimp and Beef Heart would be your best bet. The ADF group to which I belong preaches about the dangers of Bloodworms. Personally, I've seen no ill effects; but, I only feed it 2 x per week.

If you're worried about nutrition, https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708-Freshwater-Vitachem/dp/B00BS96V78 is worth a try. It is specifically for freshwater fish. SeaChem Vitality can be used with freshwater but was formulated for Marine (per SeaChem web site).

I feed 90% frozen and 10% Bug (Black Soldier Fly Larvae) Grain Free Crumbles

Have to order online so I buy from www.liveaquaria.com. If something is made by Gamma I buy it over the other brands. I prefer blister packs to sliced. Place leftover in a small pill bottle and store in refrigerator for no more than five days.

Freshwater Frenzy (San Francisco Bay)
Mini Bloodworms
Brine Shrimp with Spirulina
Vegetarian Diet (Gamma) or Emerald Entree (can't remember who makes it)
Daphnia
Cyclops
Chopped Clams (Ocean Nutrition)
Krill (Rinse first)
Tubifex Worms
Okay. So I'm on disability. I cannot afford all of those lovlies! Sound awesome but if you had to narrow it down to one or two frozen foods (that would preferably also be safe for ADF... thanks for the head's up about blood worms with them, by the way... It's been since... 2009 I think since I had my last ADF. That was the suggested food back then but knowledge has been gained since then (just think of the garlic issue!) and is more easily garnered... the internet is quite a bit more diverse than it was then. I'll do some more research on them. Do you use sinking pellets for them? What is your preferred brand? I like the sinking idea... I'm HOPING to keep a betta with them... I have a backup tank I got used for a song and a dance if they don't get along, but I've done it successfully before in a smaller tank and doing some reading by having sinking foods for the frogs and floating ones for the bettas, it often works out okay. Like I said, if not, I've got a spare tank and filter. Would need a good heater but have a temporary one. And decor would slowly take care of itself. They'd get all the hidey spots to begin with).

Anyway... points:
Which foods are BEST for betta that you listed? I can't afford all of these guys!
Which foods are best for ADF or do you use?
If I buy frozen online, what are my chances of it ARRIVING frozen?
Thanks!

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
I didn't mean for you to buy all of them. :) Just wanted you to know which ones have worked for me.

I think any of them except the vegan ones are good for both. I guess I'd choose Brine Shrimp, Daphnia, Krill/or Mini Bloodworms.

Shipping frozen has not been an issue except once and Live Aquaria replaced the shipment. I only order when the weather is cold just for added assurance.

Can your store order for you? Some will; some won't.

Betta pellets I use are linked above. Have no preference on ADF pellets.

I had long-finned Betta with ADF for years with no issues. Then one thought Guthrie's fins were food and by the time I could detach all the frogs he was pretty beat up. Never really recovered. Now I only keep them with Plakat or females....the perfect excuse to get the ADF their very own Betta. 😂

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't mean for you to buy all of them. :) Just wanted you to know which ones have worked for me.

I think any of them except the vegan ones are good for both. I guess I'd choose Brine Shrimp, Daphnia, Krill/or Mini Bloodworms.

Shipping frozen has not been an issue except once and Live Aquaria replaced the shipment. I only order when the weather is cold just for added assurance.

I had long-finned Betta with ADF for years with no issues. Then one thought Guthrie's fins were food and by the time I could detach all the frogs he was pretty beat up. Never really recovered. Now I only keep them with Plakat or females....the perfect excuse to get the ADF their very own Betta. 😂
Okay. Thanks! Yeah, sadly it's still reaching low 80s here during the day. Had a cool spell a couple of weeks ago but who knows how long it will take to cool down again. I'll look into my store ordering for me. If not I'll get some of their brand of brine shrimp at least for now. Get the better stuff when the weather cools a good bit more. Illinois is notorious for crazy weather patterns. I really appreciate the help! I'm thinking going the route of a plakat or at "worst" a veil teil. Still kinda long and could be a problem, but those two are supposed to be the healthiest bettas anyway... and the ones who have the least trouble swimming.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

One other thing: Will the frozen foods float well? My poor Noah just can't see to chase them. That's what started this whole food mess. Heh. Thanks!

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
Frozen sinks slowly. If he's used to a ring I would think he'd be fine. Plus, frozen has a strong aroma. So he might be able to find them easier than pellets if they hit the substrate. You can also use a pipette to release one at a time.

I'm interested to know how Noah does with frozen; might help others who have blind or semi-sighted Betta.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Tachead Wow! I had no idea! I looked around but finding the right piece of advice isn't always that easy. Well, I have garlic I can't use... Dad can't have fresh garlic and I can't use even the powder. sighs Oh well. Better to know! Thank you so much for that share!

· Administrator
24,577 Posts
The link was to a biased source attempting to support his opinion. The study cited used only Marine fish.

This one is a 2021 unbiased study on both freshwater and saltwater Exploring the garlic (Allium sativum) properties for fish aquaculture - Fish Physiology and Biochemistry.

The garlic/no garlic debate has been going on for years. I haven't found any unbiased studies to show it is toxic or harmful to freshwater fish. However, I would not use anything that makes me uncomfortable.

The synopsis was removed for violation of Forum rules.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts